Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found A 1800s Rubber Button

Ohio Can Slaw

I had no idea there was such a thing as rubber buttons. The one I found was patented by Goodyear and made by Novelty Rubber Company 1851-1873. Broke it cleaning it.

Attachments

• 20230226_170749(1).jpg
    20230226_170749(1).jpg
    269 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230226_170252_HDR(1).jpg
    20230226_170252_HDR(1).jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 47
Goodyear never made buttons but he did hold the patent for the rubber used to make them. The Berdan's Sharpshooter's button did have an eagle on it. Reproductions of the button were made for re-enactors so be careful if you come across one for sale. The fake button won't have any backmark. Here are pictures of a repro that was in my brother'scollection.
20221214_213858.jpg
20221214_213924.jpg

Wow. New wrinkle for me and not caused by age…….

Cool piece, congrats! Ozone would be hard on the rubber. I saw some pristine ones on display in KC at the steamboat Arabia Museum. The boat sunk and the cargo was recovered in the 80's everything was in perfect preservation. The rubber items are hermetically sealed and kept out of direct light.
HH Jeff

Cool piece, congrats! Ozone would be hard on the rubber. I saw some pristine ones on display in KC at the steamboat Arabia Museum. The boat sunk and the cargo was recovered in the 80's everything was in perfect preservation. The rubber items are hermetically sealed and kept out of direct light.
HH Jeff
The rubber part of the button was in good condition until i started cleaning the dried mud off... Then it started to crumble.