Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a bullet of unknown type.

1859large

I was wondering if anybody was familiar ith this one. We don't often find these in these parts, our lead is largely comes as fishing weights and e find a lot of those. The appear to be no markings. The base of the brass is 3/4" and is 2" long. The bullet looks like lead with the small scratches you would expect on lead. The brass seems to have a very slight taper. What are your thoughts as to what it came from and age. I found it in a cousins backyard where an old house burned in 1905. also found to silver thimbles stacked inide each other on the same day.

Thanks

HH 1859

No makings on the base, just smooth blank. A nice domed primer without a pin mark on it. Any thoughts on how old. like 1870-1880s?

Thanks

I googled the 45-70 and found some specs for the bullet and it seems mine might have a wider and shorter brass than I had first measured. The lenght looks a shade less than 2" and the diameter of 7/10s of an inch at the base. There is also a very small shoulder on it. I was not looking close enough that first time. The shoulder is easier to feel than see and suggests the bullet is about an inch in length. The bullet at the brass is 9/16ths in diameter definately more than 1/ 2 inch.

Man the web is a powerful tool but one still needs to know the name of what you are looking for especially with a broad topic like bullets.

The town where this bullet was found was once populated by schooner based fishermen who fished on the coast of Labrador in the summer where they might encounter polar bears. The odd polar bear even today get as far south as where I live by riding ice flows. Nobody tranquilises them except with hot lead!

HH