Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a Civil War Medal :jump:

William-NM

I was working along the creek the other day and dug this little medal. I thought it looked older than WWII - maybe Indian Wars. When I got around to researching it, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it is a Civil War Union Officer's medal awarded in 1865. That's 5 years before the town was founded by Captain John Bullard, his brother, and a group of partners, including Colonel Dick Hudson. A number of soldiers took up mining upon leaving the military, and the area was quite remote and subject to frequent Indian attacks. The Indian wars were basically interrupted by the Civil War and resumed upon it's completion. So, who knows how many Civil War officers were in Silver City (then called San Vicente) in those early years. Captain Bullard was killed during an Indian attack in 1871 at the age of 24. This concludes today's history lesson (not really). Here is the Medal (about 2.5" tall) and a photo of what it would have looked like when issued.
civil-war-medal-front.JPG
civil-war-medal-new.JPG

On my next hunt, I turned up this Police button, another first for me - I was pretty pretty excited to find it, too. I haven't done much cleaning of these two finds, and probably won't... the button is marked 'Superior Quality' on the back.
police-button-front.JPG
police-button-back.JPG

This is looking up from the banks of the creek, and some of the local flora - they almost look like rusty iron, don't they?? :heh:
creek-cliffs.JPG
creek-wire-sculpt.JPG

I found a couple of pieces of Nickel Silver cutlery, and a plated handle stamped "WHITEHOUSE" -- don't ask me, heh. Of course, I never head home without a few brass buckles in my pouch!
silverware.JPG
brass.JPG

I dug a few bottles along the way, including a nice little 7 oz. Mission Soda, bottled in Deming, NM. Other favorites were a Gebhardt's Eagle Chili Powder, a little glue bottle marked "McCormick's Iron Glue" on the bottom, and one that I haven't ID'd yet that has "Fill to Line" embossed across the middle.
bottles-1.JPG
bottles-2.JPG
bottles-3.JPG

I found some "jewels" in my looting, and just a little Silver - a partial chain & a (part) Silver war nickel; 1945 D, though it has gone missing at the moment. Aside from a few pieces of clad, the only other coin was a 1941D wheatie. The little shoe charm isn't silver, but is engraved on the back with the date 9-22-11, probably to celebrate the birth of a child. I'm not sure what the brass bars were - maybe saddle/bridle decorations. The leafy pin or buckle is Brass, a fire made a mess of it's glass 'jewels', though.
chain.JPG
jewelry.JPG

I found a few bits of toys - a pewter doll's head and the hammer of a young carpenter with poor work habits. I didn't notice that the little iron piece was a man's head until I was cleaning up the finds. The insectoid-looking creature was likely either a girly hair barrette or torture device...
toys.JPG

Surprise, I found some Iron, too:rofl: The light colored horseshoe is aluminum with an Iron wear-band - I'm sticking with my theory that it's a racehorse's shoe.
iron.JPG

Since it's quiet, I'll post a few pics of my outing up around Georgetown, another mining ghost town about 15 or 20 miles East of here. There's nothing left of the structures, and the site is private property (some mining and tourist cabins), so I just did some random wandering outside the immediate site. I've walked the hills where the town once stood (it's allowed!), and it would be fun to hunt, thick with ground up house bits! Sadly, aside from some clad and a bunch of Iron, I didn't come home with much. It was a mostly sunny and warm 50s (F.) day, so no regrets! & I've only checked 1% of the huntable area, so will take another crack at it when the impulse strikes. It looks so quiet now, but had thousands of miners &tc. scouring the mountainsides and ravines back in the 1800s.
georgetown-creek.JPG
georgetown-grasses.JPG
georgetown-hills.JPG
georgetown-hills-2.JPG

Well, that's all for today. Here's to an early thaw for y'all Nawtheners & best of luck in the hunt to all! :cheers:

That medal is a really neat find. Lots of other goodies there as well. Enjoyed the history lesson and photos. Good job!:cheers: HH jim tn

Awesome, awesome medal. Nice find!

aj

Great job I feel like I had a US history class.And I enjoyed it much more than I did in school.Thanks for the refresher course.HH.

Thanks guys!

Nice finds! Looking at the place you got to hunt has got me :drool: I've been held up all winter, can't wait to get back out. I'll bet once you get in the old creek you'll pull some more treasures.:thumbup:

Great post, finds, and pics - as always! The Civil War medal is awesome! Thanks for the history of the town and the Captain. We're most of the Indian wars in your area against the Apache?

That is so COOL! :surprised: Why is that one "fill to line" bottle all slanty? You sure dont leave much behind...even the glass is at your mercy! Great work and a wonderfully documented hunt!:clapping:
Mud

Thanks, fellas!
chip: Yes, most of the fighting was with the Comanche / Apache. They were nomadic, moving with the seasons, and would even raid other Indian settlements. Geronimo, Victorio and a few other better-known chiefs were among the last to surrender because they were so adept at disappearing into the Gila Mountains.

Mud: thanks! I noticed that about the bottle pics. I do find ones that have been warped by fire, but these are straight-- must have been some kind spatial anomaly passing through the area just as I snapped those, probably on the way to Roswell :rofl:

You always post some interesting and unique finds. Love the medal and history. If school had made history as interesting as what is posted on these forums, I might have been an A+ student. Maybe not, but it's a nice thought. HH.

Fongu: Thanks! I agree re: history class. It takes real talent to take something that action packed and exciting and turn it into a boring class! I enjoy learning a bit about the history of the area and have always enjoyed Westerns and other 'period' films. Sorry about taking it out on you guys :rofl:

John: Merci! It's certainly one of my oldest finds at age 149, and I never expected to find Civil War relics around here, as NM was still a territory in those days and the few battles in the area were mostly back East on the Rio Grande. Silver City is still off the beaten path and back then, well, you were literally taking your life in your hands to pass through the Indian lands. Of course, now we have the meth-heads and heroin addicts and gangs, sigh.

William-NM those are some great finds.. from the looks of your pictures it looks similiar to the mountains here in California..Placerville and Sierra area. I would love to go up there sometime but from what I heard it's all pretty much claimed and private property. I'm sure there unclaimed area but don't know about it. For a day or so, I sure love to relic hunt for a change... Keep up the great post...Asiandigger.

asiandigger: It is similar terrain - but a lot longer drive to the beach! lots of Forest Service and BLM land around here, though, which is nice.

Super wonderful finds !!! I love it all from the incredible medallion to the marbles. :thumbup::thumbup: B.T.W., I have the exact same Mission Beverages bottle, found up here in Saskatchewan, Canada. They sure got around.

CONGRATS William!! That's Some BEAUTIFUL Country out there, and Some DAMM NICE Pictures!! WTG!! Les Robinson.

Thanks, guys! What a great hobby- 'ya never know what your next find will be! :blink: