Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a few and a whatzit...

brnn53

These were found on the outskirts of a 15th Corps camp. Not sure about the large brass object. I thought it looked like a fence post finial but made of brass??? Besides, there are no house sites nearby that would have had such a fence. Any thoughts? Thanks and HH!
Mike

Mike, you may have mentioned your location before but I've forgotten. Apparently you're in the same swath of the 14th, 15th, 17th and 20th corps as I am -- Sherman's march. I'm in the SC Lowcountry, which saw the 15th and 17th, specifically.

These guys were taking anything that wasn't nailed down. And even then, if it was, they took the ground around it, too. I've found jewelry from a 15th AC camp that is extremely remote. But the jewelry was taken from a local farmer's home or the like.

Point being, don't rule out house site stuff. These guys carried it with them until they stole something better.

My two pence. :)

Richard

Nice finds Mike. Being an old farmboy, looks like an axle cap from an old truck or piece of farm equipment. I have found one or two like that before. HH and Good LUCK!!!

Wonder if this is a buggy wheel hub. Here is a picture of General Rufus Ingalls taken at City Point, Va. in 1865. The serrations on the Whatis looks like it intended to be twisted perhaps for removal.

Dave Poche.

Thanks for the reply Richard. I am in eastern NC. Johnston County to be more specific. The 15th came by and some of them stayed here on my family farm. Most of my relics found have been from the farm but these were found further along their march. I agree with you that they took everything of any value and most of no value. I have often wondered if these Yankees broke every piece of china they could because they knew that they would steal more later. I find lots of shards and china pieces where ever they have been. My grandmother told me that it was Sherman's cavalry that stayed here. She told stories that her mother told her about having to hide meat and valuables in the well to keep the Yankees from stealing it. I'm glad they stayed here. It gives me a place to hunt right outside my door!
Mike

Thanks for the replies fellers! I am leaning towards perhaps a brass bed post finial but it must have been a heavy bed because this thing weighs a bunch! HH!
Mike

The 15th passed by here a few miles away while the 17th came to within a mile of my door and veered off on another road. I have to ride a few miles to get to the first hunt-able site.

Now how nice is that to step out of your back door and have a site to hunt? Bet it was nice listening your your grandmom telling about the history of your property and the surrounding area. Heck, write the stories down and give them to your kids/grandkids. I'm sure you have, Mike, but hit it hard!

Richard

To me it looks like the cap from the top of a flagpole.

Any info on the route those units took north. I am north of Raleigh in souther Granville. just started detecting. Thanks