Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a piece of my equipment on Craigslist,

Old California

Yesterday morning, couldn't find my Periscope probe. Had used it a day earlier (Sat) well at least it made it to my pickup that I remember, The next day (Sunday) it was missing and I was going to meet a friend at an old park. Seached every room, Garage, Cabinet's behind couch, etc. Have a spare periscope for backup, removed it from it's box and went out to hunt with my friend for a couple of hours.

Last night, After returning from that short hunt. Searched my home again and then it occurred to me, maybe I left the Periscope probe on top of the outer cab as I drove to the hunt site that late Saturday the previous day? So I'm thinking, if someone found it just maybe they'll try and sell it on Craigslist. Sure enough, After logging on last night there it was. At a local town about 20 miles from my home, apparently someone passing through my area seen it on the road.

Yesterday, He places it on Craigslist. So I call last night, no answer. Sent a text but I feel it be best I respond as a buyer, Don't want to share him off he can quickly delete the ad. He replies, Yes it's still for sale, I reply great I'll buy it.

We meet this morning at a gas station, he shows me the periscope probe. I open the scope box and show him the ID no. matches the No. on the original receipt I have. From there, He mentions great it's yours no need to pay anything I'm glad you're the owner. But, I still give him $50 for his trouble shake his hand and Thank him for understanding.

It's damaged inside, components are moving around in side and it won't turn on. The short drop from the cab and hitting the pavement caused this, Lucky the probe rod wasn't damaged especially the tip sensor that's the main component.

Back home, Opened and removed the case. Minor damage, Speaker disconnected, Probe connector attachment disconnected from inside side case. Two hours later, Looks and is operating like new again.

Everything turned out ok, even the hunt yesterday was great one of the two wheat pennies is 1909 no S. Still, a site for sore eyes any 1909 are tough to find. Also dug a piece of pocket knife and suspender clip.

My spare backup Periscope probe is back in it's box, my original periscope is back home. Those that have never tried a periscope probe, Its a remarkable piece of equipment especially for deep coins. Must have if you're a Pi user searching for deep coins from old parks, eliminates digging iron signals.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

Paul, that is a crazy story. Great of him to offer it to you for free. Great of you to offer a reward for his time. You are a great asset to this hobby !

It’s funny – I was sitting here thinking about your story Pail. I was getting all worked up about the nerve of the guy - keeping the thing and offering it for sale. So I thought a little harder - he found it by the side of the road and now considers it his – without any particular effort to Advertise and find the owner.

Just as I was getting all worked up about this I stopped and thought… How’s that so very different than what we do? We go out we find stuff and we keep it.

Just as I was getting all worked up about this I stopped and thought… How was that so very different than what we do? We go out we find stuff and we keep it.

Those of us with a bit more tender conscience may good faith efforts when it comes to artifacts with peoples names on them or other identifying marks when there’s clear sentimental or monetary value involved.

Anyway I just thought it was sort of ironic.

Also it’s typical of you Paul to offer him a generous finders fee.

Hello Tom,

I was prepared to pay the asking price for the periscope, I did loose it. We all make mistakes, I don't hold negative feelings to the finder for not trying to find the owner from the beginning, Just glad he listed it even if for sale.

But he quickly offered it back for no charge once he new I was the original owner, he even insisted.

Noticed it was damaged, but I felt for his trouble he deserves something. Worse case scenario, Can use it for part's if I couldn't get it operating again. Luckily, Damage was minor components detached from the inside.

All worked out well at the end, I think we both learned a valuable lesson from this. I didn't like the fact of aprouching as a buyer at the beginning, instead of the original person who lost it. Was afraid he would have skipped and deleted the ad, That bothered me not being honest at the beginning.

I'll be more careful with my equipmnent in the future, And may auctally text the fellow someday and buy him lunch.

Thanks Tom,
Paul

Hello Rick,

I'm so glad this worked out at the end, The finder actually offered it back for no charge once he seen I was the owner, even insisted.

It was a valuable lesson for the two of us, that's how I view this maybe it was meant to happen. So I look past him not trying to find the owner, and instead glad he listed the periscope even if for sale.

We're all human, we make mistakes. I sure have, many I'm ashamed of especially in our hobby at the beginning. Since, I matured and understand the importance of finds belonging to the owner.

And the TDI you sold me is one of the few successful transitions in my career, It's what I was needing for Pi park hunting, Reg Sniff mods are great!

Thanks Rick,
Paul

Thanks Doc,

Yes, I think it hit everyone seeing Monte loose all that equipment. Hopefully, Someday soon pieces start to surface and make their way back to Monte.

What a hit that was, terrible.

Thanks again,
Paul

Great story Paul..win,win for both parties. .. this game of lost and found is a whole lot more fun when we are the finder lol... you played that situation perfect or at least more than fair...well done...

Thank you bootyhound,

I surely learned from this recent experience, Actually it was a learning experience for the two of us. Just glad all turned out well, and it's behind me.

These Periscope probes are extremely hard to locate, not too many surface on the internet. I've only seen 2 surface on the classifies in year's, and someone out there has a special made one of a kind periscope with longer probe. Think it was an 18" probe instead of the standard 14", Wish I had that one.

Thanks again,
Paul

The act of returning an item to someone is the privilege of any Detectors to take advantage of. I enjoy every research of items with unique identifiers. Not all are successful. The ones that are remind me of the simple joy of giving back. Peace

Thanks for sharing that Paul. Well handled.

I'm hoping that Monte's stuff is found as well.

Rich

Well you did better than me old friend. I purchased a Eric Foster Goldscan 4 in mint condition. Flee bay said it was delivered but I was home all day and the UPS guy never comes before 4. Long story short. They would not refund my money based on a tracking number and the UPS driver did not remember my delivery.

That turned out as well as it could...by advertising it in CL the guy actually made it possible for you to know who found it! He was generous in his offer to return it for free and you knew you had to at least give him a decent finders fee. Good to hear damages are minimal!
Monte? As in Monte Berry? He had some stuff get lost or a different Monte?

Monte Berry had several detectors stolen from his truck while parked in a hospital parking lot attending a sick relative.