Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a wallet today-Did a good deed

I know this post should probably be in the good deeds forum and may end up getting moved there . I thought it fitting however to post it on this forum, due to the post I had a few days ago about being asked to leave the park because of a ban on parks to metal detecting. Today I went to a middle school that I enjoy detecting in the same city as the supposed banned parks. I noticed 2 cops hanging out on opposite streets in front and on the side of the school, figured I would start detecting and if asked to leave so be it. They were taking care of some speeders in the area. After I had been detecting for a while with one of the cops watching me, he called and motioned for me to come over to his car. I went over there and we talked for a while, he was just curious about what I was finding and asked some questions about my gear and metal detecting. He said his Sarge and co worker enjoyed detecting and he wanted to try it out. He was a nice guy. I am not surprised though. I have never had a bad experience with cops, metal detecting or otherwise. He took off and not long after that I found a wallet. I was running close to needing to hurry home to get ready for work and running out of time. I decided I had to turn it in right away and hope I could get to work on time. Funny thing I got to the police station, spoke with a lady there, she called an officer to come and meet me in the lobby. It turns out it was the same officer I had talked to at the school a little while ago. I am glad I got to do a good deed and build some rapport with law enforcement in the same city I was told the parks were banned in. It was good to help the hobby today after being told 2 days ago I could not hunt the parks. It made me feel good to help out. HH

Way to go. Maybe that officer might do some talking to the right people and get your parks opened again. I hope it works out for you... KEN. from. Ind.

Great story, small world. i found a wallet years ago..it was setting on the curbing in the middle of a busy highway and i found out later it had been there for about 15 hours.. it belonged to a french businessman who travels internationally. ..had passports and like 30 credit cards in it....i also took it to the police and eventually got to meet the very gratful gentleman who had lost it.... wallet still had everything in it... your story brings back memories. ...congrats on a fine return....

I think the Angels rejoice when a human does good like that , in this world where we are so cash strapped, and now the cops see the value of detectorists, like yourself

Found a few wallets over the years. I all cases made sure they were returned. I know in every case the relief felt by the person who claimed their property back was all the reward I could have ever asked for.

Years ago I found a wallet at Huntington Beach. It was full of all kinds of plastic and such and had about $60 in it. I put it in a padded envelope and mailed it to the address on the driver license and forgot all about it. The next week I had a letter in the mail from someone I didn't know. Opened it up and it was from the young man I sent the wallet to. He said thanks for returning my wallet as I had a lot of valuable things in it. He said it's good to know there are still some honest people in the world. Also it had a $50 bill in it. For me. I kept it. Was that wrong to accept the reward and would it have been an insult to return it?

oldknifemaker said:
Years ago I found a wallet at Huntington Beach. It was full of all kinds of plastic and such and had about $60 in it. I put it in a padded envelope and mailed it to the address on the driver license and forgot all about it. The next week I had a letter in the mail from someone I didn't know. Opened it up and it was from the young man I sent the wallet to. He said thanks for returning my wallet as I had a lot of valuable things in it. He said it's good to know there are still some honest people in the world. Also it had a $50 bill in it. For me. I kept it. Was that wrong to accept the reward and would it have been an insult to return it?

Don't sweat it, he wanted you to have it . He was grateful and you probably saved him over Fifty bucks in worry and hassle . He said" it's good to know there are still some honest people in the world". You reassured him there were , maybe at a time when he desperately needed that type of reassurance . Sometimes you just never know what other people are going through . Hats off to you and Dirtdigger 33 and all the honest and kind people out there .