Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FOUND ANOTHER ONE!!! ABOUT HOW I DAMAGED AND REPAIRED MY 81/2" COIL

Cupajo

Cupajo

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:53 am Post subject: Infinium 101 (Damaged Coil Repair Results)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Gang,

It's funny how these things work out some times. I just wrote a long rambling post to let you know that it seems my 81/2" mono is OK!!! The cracks I found, after being dried out and sealed with epoxy and a rubber coating, seem to be OK!!! I'm not sure yet if the sensitivity is as good. I had not been checking for damage as often as I had intended to and found there were cracks after 20+ hours of scrubbing the loop over the rocky bottom of our local beach. Somehow I lost the post!!! Probably just as well!! The crux of the situation is that I was able to recover 3-nickles HI/LO, 2-quarters LO/HI, 3- Pennies LO/HI, 3 large lead fishing sinkers Lo/Hi, and various brass junk jewelry LO/HI & HI/LO. I dig it all including nudging a steel rod 11/2 ' long (covered in mineral coating and a possible threat to bathers) into my scoop!!! LO/HI. A couple or three pieces of wire or perhaps nails LO/HI round out the tally.

I was under the impression that the loop was sealed with a substantial coating of epoxy and it seems that the loop is only protected by a thin plastic cover. I was totally surprised to find the cracks. It seems, that there is some kind of protective seal covering the wire loop or my efforts at drying out the loop and sealing etc would not have worked!! Way to go Garrett!!!

Future hunting will verify my conclusion that the loop has survived my inattention and remedial ministrations!!! (I HOPE!!!!)

GL&HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it !!!)

Black Davy

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:29 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I will keep a closer eye on my coil bottoms. I hope they continue to work well for you.

nugget

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:20 pm Post subject:

My coil showed serious damage on the bottom as well. I only had it out on the goldfields a couple of weekends, and at most 10 beach trips. I sent for the coil cover as I can't afford to replace coils. I had my Bounty Hunter coil cover sealed with selastic, amazingly the sand still worked it's way in! So I hope the epoxy works, if so I'll do it to my coils. HH regards Nugget.

Cupajo

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:24 pm Post subject: I had the loop in the water this AM&PM

I can't tell any difference, if any, between the detector function now as compared to before. The tool handle dip (RUBBER TYPE COATING) I layered on the coil over the Epoxy repair doesn't show any wear after 8-10 hours of scrubbing the rocky bottom where I hunt.

I'm going to coat my coils with spray on truck bed liner next to see if it works as well as the tool handle dip. It comes in spray cans and must be easier to apply than the dip which has to be thinned and brushed on in layers.

I like the idea of avoiding coil covers if possible.

GL&HH Friends,

Cupajo

erikk

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:46 pm Post subject:

I have been using Lock Tite marine epoxy on my coils for some time and they hold up really well. Any dings can easily be repaired