Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found Barber and 1st silver nickel

EddieB

Went out today for a short hunt and found these goodies. This is my 1st silver nickel, 1944. The Barber is a 1911d. They were both about 6ins deep and both hit hard. Any idea on how to clean the nickel? HH EddieB

Nice finds!:thumbup: Soap and water should do it. Soak first to loosen the dirt and don't rub it.

Jim is right on the money. I always practice my cleaning on the non valubles. That way when a nice one does pop up you wont toast them like i did so many times :sadwalk:

Took a while to get your first Silver Nickel. WTG!! I really think the E-Trac is the reason you found it. It lumps that signal in with the other coins and causes you to dig!! On your SE it was hitting a little lower and unless deep a target sometimes overlooked.

Congrats!

Ron

It has a VERY light acid content which has proven to NOT affect silver coins. Then rinse it thoroughly in water. I have cleaned non valuable silver that way since it removes the crud still leaves the coin looking aged and not shiny new.

n/t

I found this out from a professional coin cleaner.

He first uses dish soap to remove any dirt. Do not rub the coin in any way. Just allow it to soak in dish soap and water for a few minutes. Rinse and then pat dry...do not rub dry with anything because you will scratch the coin.

He then puts a teaspoon of salt, and two tablespoons of baking soda in a pan of water. He takes a piece of aluminum foil and puts the coin on the foil and puts it in the pan.

He told me to heat the water to a boil and let it boil away for at least 5 minutes. I was told that it does not destroy the value of the coin, removes any sulpher stains (black tarnish) and allows for the grain of the coin to remain intact.

I tried it on a Silver Eagle that had some serious staining and it cleaned it up to the point of looking like it was just minted. I took a look at it under a microscope and compared it to a newly minted Silver Eagle. The coins looked the same. The grain from the minting looked great on the cleaned coin with no scratches.

By far the best way I have found to clean coins without destroying the value.

I like to thank all you guys for your comments and encouragement!! And the cleaning tips. HH to all. EddieB