Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found Civil War Minnie Ball

Drkstr62

The Time Ranger took me back in time about 150 years on Saturday (6/16/2012). Was hunt an elementary school tot lot and got a nickel hit at about 4". Started digging and no nickel, instead a large bullet shaped object. After cleaning it, I saw 3 rings, but was not sure if it was what I thought it was. I did some research and found it to be a Williams Cleaner Type 2 Minnie Ball. I would not have expected to find this where I did. This is my first Civil War Relic and coolest find.

Here are a couple of pictures.

[attachment 236033 0619122018.jpg]

[attachment 236034 0619122018a.jpg]

Ya gotta watch that Little Jimmy, he's always bringing his musket to school! ;)

Cool find in an unexpected place. Out here in mining country, we find lots of spent lead masquerading as large nuggets. Gets kinda frustrating at times, but we occasionally find an oldie. The Black Hills Gold Rush dates back to the post-Civil War depression, and many men from both sides went to the Hills in search of a better situation. I've always felt I should find some old war relic that was used or worn by a former soldier and lost way up north in these wild and wooly hills.

Sandy did find an English IXL pocketknife that dates back to 1880 and I found an old 50 caliber rimfire casing from a rolling-block pistol, but nothing yet that we can place that far back as to connect South Dakota to a Civil War soldier.

-Ed

Thats a good find buddy. Its a williams cleaner type 3. They were used from 1863the until the end of the civil war.

Digger70pa said:
Thats a good find buddy. Its a williams cleaner type 3. They were used from 1863the until the end of the civil war.

It sure beats all of the clad that I've found.

And thats how you get hooked on relic hunting. It only took one miniball!!!!!!! Lol nice cleaner.