Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found flakes in a small stream...what should I look for upstream for the source?

scooper77515

I found a small stream on the side of a foothill, and it is full of flakes. I was thinking of moving upstream and testing the silt until I no longer find flakes. I figure that would put me near the source of the flakes.

What should I be looking for on my way upstream to hopefully find a vein or other source of these flakes?

addon.php

Im no expert but id be having a look at them as i took samples going along to see if they got any rougher in appearance. There can be multiple feeds and some may appear real smooth whilst others from the same sample can be rough, indicating perhaps more than one feeds to the gold. You wouldnt want to chase it till its end and miss a good feed point that could be the best. Keep an eye out for little species in the near final gravels to when you pan off too. When or if it gives out id take samples from the bench areas on the side slopes, as well as just general samples from the slopes. Im sure there are some more switched on hunters here than myself though so heres hoping one will chime in for you with some good advice. Good luck mate.

All good points, thanks!

Luckily, it is close to home, and just gives me a reason to take the family up into the hills to hike and look for mushrooms. So even if I never find a "source" or "lode", we are still enjoying ourselves.

But, never hurts to find some gold, because we are failing at finding the right shrooms. Looking for morels and chanterelles, but finding everything but those two!

Look for clues to the origin. Is there any gold with quartz attached? How about iron ferrite (rusty stains), black stains or other mineral stains attached that is not associated with the localized placer deposit? Is it smooth, pounded and rounded, or is it rough and angular. Magnify it. Are there any sediments in stream or geologic features associated with gold deposits in the area. Seeking the source can be extremely frustrating and/or rewarding, good luck.

I went to another mountain, found nice flakes, and walked upstream, and eventually started to find larger flakes, then flakes attached to small rocks. My wife brought down a couple of larger rocks with flakes embedded, but all I grabbed were these small ones. I have not tested these flakes to verify gold vs pyrite.

Also, on that mountain, I found flakes larger than I have found before. Pictured on the white paper plate, it was .160" across.

Then yesterday, from dirt I brought down from my original spot, I found an even larger and thicker flake. Pictured on the black pan. EDIT--oops, sorry, this one came out blurry after I zoomed and cropped, but I think you can get the idea...

It seems like the larger flakes are more angular, and then the smaller ones end up rounded, looking kinda like a red blood cell, often with a dimple in the middle. Those smaller ones are also generally thicker, relatively, compared to the "younger" flakes that are still more angular and thinner.

Which makes sense...as they tumble down the mountain stream, they get pounded flatter and smoother, and get broken down into smaller specimens.

I have a book on Barnes and noble, an e-book called Last Chance The Prospectors Field Guide To Finding More Gold. My name Is Reese Townes. Type my name into Barnes search bar or the title of my book and it will come up. My book is $3.99 and it will help you with looking for the clues as you move up stream testing. I also write articles for The ICMJ Prospecting and Mining Journal on gold detecting..

Goldseeker 4000 I'm looking for someone to search with and your name came up when i filters search results by Montana. I live in whitefish. You nearby? You know of any clubs in this area I could join?