Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found my first Wheat penny today? Now how do I clean it?

Hello everybody!! Ive only been detecting for a few months and unfortunately I dont get out to old parks. Today I did, and found my first wheat penny!! :yo:I am dying to know the date but it has some crud on the second 2 digits.:cry: Does anybody have any suggestions for cleaning pennies without destroying them. The stuff is like rock!! Thanks ahead of time for your input!

WOW,BIG congratulations on your first wheat cent!!! :clapping: :thumbup: If it were my wheat cent, I would take an old toothbrush or any soft bristle brush to it along with soap and water. That should make the date legible. Let us know the year if you find out. HH, Nancy

Congrats on the wheat cent! The best approach to all copper is... a water rinse and dry, a little vegetable oil to soak and highlight the details, a wood toothpick to pop of any adhesions. Once you can see the date and mint mark (to determine it's value) stop. If it's a better date, it will have a premium if you don't expose fresh metal and the coin is uniform in appearance. (Sins and all.)

Thanks for the info I will give these methods a try!

Jim

Try soaking it for months in olive oil
or
Try This
http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/restore/electrolysis.html

I Use This Method to Clean WWII Brass 50 cal Shell Casings, Works Great But Dont Leave Your Coins in too Long or they will Disolve

Like what was mentioned above do this until you can make out the date & Mintmark, if its a good one do the olive oil method. Just dont want anyone getting Upset becouse they disolved a 1909 S VDB

Dave