Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found my oldest coin with the F5

REVIER

It's chinese, not american, and not super rare because gazillions were made...as a matter of fact one of the most common Chinese coins found in this country.
Supposedly tons of barrels of these things were brought over in the early 1900's by travelers from China and they spread out far and wide but I am not in California where so many Chinese immigrants were or anywhere near any railroads but I am here in Birmingham Alabama and it was found in a neighbor's lawn across the street from my house so...surprise.
It probably was a collectable lost by a person that lived in that house at one time, could have been dropped by a traveller passing through this area a few hundred years ago before there was civilization around here but no way to tell...it was deep enough to be either so I will just believe it was the latter.
Qing Dynasty, 1 Cash - Qianlong coin Boo-chiowan minting from 1736- 1795.
Minimum 225 year old coin so I am counting it as my oldest and it will hold that place until an American coin replaces it.

Bronze alloy, a 53 on the F5 and that is the same area as a few 10k class rings I have found in the past so I was hoping but not to be.
Still, I never found a Chinese coin before so a nice old bucket lister and I am happy.

Chinac.jpg

Gotta love “so surprise”! If I remember right my 1916 Dutch penny (which is mostly bronze) also rang low 50s. Another crumb to stick in my brain wrinkles......

Gotta love “so surprise”! If I remember right my 1916 Dutch penny (which is mostly bronze) also rang low 50s. Another crumb to stick in my brain wrinkles......
I have so much stored up there, there is a theory that our brain can only remember so much and once you reach the limit any new things learned will start replacing the old.
I have added so much over the years just pertaining to this hobby I am always afraid if I learn just one more thing I will forget something important like how to drive.
If that happens so be it.
Yea...I am pretty weird but I have my priorities straight, anyway.

Last edited:
Awesome surprise Revier!! nice find

Over the years we have found many of these Chinese cash coins as they are called. From what we found out was when a dynasty went to the next ruler the coins became worthless and new ones were made. Now the old one were used for jewelry such as charm bracelets and even seen a jacket made with these hanging on it. I feel this is why we find them around the country from people that were over there and brought back some sovieners., some were even sold over here too. That is what were were told back in the early years of detecting. we we were starting to find them.

That’s a very cool find, Revier. You just never know. I detected a farmhouse in NJ and found a similar style Chinese coin - I forget which dynastic period but also old. Also found there a Nazi coin, a couple of large cents and a KG III.

I remember finding my 1st one over in Ga back in the early 90's. I remembered my friend had found one so knew what it was. As noted, quite a few of them scattered around the country, but always a interesting and neat find. HH jim tn

those coins where cast in molds unlike our struck coins or even the hammeredones of urope

They should be considered a bucket lister. It's fun dating them using the online identification guide. As mentioned by others they were used for decorating many different items. When the kids got hold of them they were soon lost. Nice find.

They should be considered a bucket lister. It's fun dating them using the online identification guide. As mentioned by others they were used for decorating many different items. When the kids got hold of them they were soon lost. Nice find.
Thanks!
Yes, it was fun tracking this thing down and learning about them.
We are saving history, after all, and this little thing sure has that.

I remember finding my 1st one over in Ga back in the early 90's. I remembered my friend had found one so knew what it was. As noted, quite a few of them scattered around the country, but always a interesting and neat find. HH jim tn

Thank you!