Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

found near an old grave,have no clue

Can you take another photo with a white background, a better light or a flash?
What size is it?

When I was young I had a necklace that specifically held a penny which I kept an Indian-head cent in. It looked a little like what you've found and I wonder if it's the size of a silver dollar or fifty cent piece. It also looks like it could be the frame of a locket which held a picture (is that the remnants of a possible hinge on it?), and like has already been posted, possibly a pocket watch frame.

At first I thought it was a coin holder, making a pendant type necklace.

As CP wondered, what is the thickness and diameter?

Locket: Solid stem, no hole through to inside of case.
Spring on the outside under the stem, if that is the remains of a spring under the stem.
If smaller than say, a quarter.
Very thin.
If it's made of brass.

Watch frame: Hollow stem for the winding and setting stem. Even most key wound watches had a stem for setting.
Relatively thick.
If it's made of steel, silver or gold.

Both would have a cover and opened when the stem was pressed to release the catch visible under the stem on the rim. Both would have a ring attached at the little knobs on the side of the stem.

I think the defining factor would be the stem, if it's solid with no hole through to the inside of the case, it's probably a locket.

The first picture looks like the stem is hollow, so then it's probably a watch.

Most watches had internal springs for the catch, many lockets had external springs. But some lockets had internal springs.

But I have a gold locket and a brass watch. I never saw a coin holder with a cover, but I haven't seen everything!

So, after carefully analyzing all the data, we can safely assume that it's either a locket or watch frame or maybe a coin holder.

Hope this helps.

Musketeer