Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found some nice stuff in the Old Park in Maine

Glen in Maine

I did some adjusting with my f75... Mode DE, Disc 5-6 but mostly 5, Sen. as high as I can go without interference usually around 85-95, Tones 3H and here are my finding for 2 days in my old park that I have been going at for 3 years now. The first photo is a Indian Head cent that dates around 1863, The second is a 5 cent piece date I think 1883-86, The third is a Indian Head cent dating around 1879. All were damaged by being in the ground for such a long time... but at least I could tell what they were and with a flash light at an angle I could make out partial dates.

How deep were they ??????

Nice finds.
I don't own a F75 yet, but I have one on the way, and have been trying to read everything I can about them. From what I read, there is no real advantage of running the disc at 5 rather than 6 if you are looking for extra depth. The depth is the same at 5 and 6, and you get more depth at 4. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

There is a trade off from 5 to 4... more background noise and crackling ... sometimes I do run in 4 as well and sometimes in 6 if I want it to run much more quietly. I know of some that run in 0... but its very noisy but the deepest.

Great finds Glen. That middle coin is definitely a shield nickel and would have to be 1883 (last year to make them). Very good find there!!

When you are hunting an old park like yours, do you only dig the deep stuff or do you dig the shallow coins also? I would imagine there is a lot to go thru to get to those coins. I guess another way to look at it is that with the F-75 most other people clean out the first 6 inches for you.

...it all depends on the target sound. I have dug some good stuff at 2" and some bad stuff at 9".... oh well go figure.. The Key is to dig and dig and dig and learn more each day. My biggest problems are old rusted bottle caps and the good old pull tabs or beaver tails. They can wound awful good so there is a learning curve there but when in DOUBT... DIG DIG DIG. You never know what you will come up with.

Hi Glen, CONGRATULATIONS on the FINDS!! Being you were using 3-tone ID, what tone did the (3) coins come in at? According to Nasa-Tom, 3-tone ID should
have signaled the Middle Tone, which is the aluminum/gold/brass tone! Also, how did they ID, and do you remember how deep they were? Inquiring minds want to know! HH, Les Robinson

Hi Les...

First of all "WELCOME HOME" my Friend I too served in Vietnam 69-70 Naval Air Cam Ranh Bay.

You are correct they came in at middle tone. To be honest I don't remember how they IDed. The depth we between 6-8 inches. If a signal is deep meaning over 5-6 inches I dig it no matter what because you never know whats down there. I do unfortunately do dig my share of bottle caps and pull tabs...which usually are not as deep as the good stuff. BUT the benefit of digging deeper sound can be very rewarding. Depending on the ground I run the Disc at 4,5, or 6. I am not a fan of a lot of background noise... but then again the rewards can be greater as shown by the photos I have posted. HH Glen In Maine

Hi Glen, RIGHT BACK AT YA with the WELCOME HOME!! GLEN, I served in Vietnam from June 71 to Mar. 29, 72, and I did my In-Country Training in Cam Ranh
Bay!! Are you familiar with TIGER LAKE in Cam Ranh? I spent most of my tour in I-Corp, at a place called Phu Bai/Hue City! But, i spent my last (3) weeks in
II-Corp, City of Nha Trang!! What a BEAUTIFUL AREA of Vietnam that was!!
Anyhow, getting back to metal detecting! Like I said, I have been researching the F-75, because I am waiting to sell one of my detectors, before i replace it with
an up-grade!! So, it will probably be a couple of months before I make a purchase. I have a NAMVET BUDDY that is a FISHER/GARRETT Dealer, and he is a
Die-Hard F-75 User!! Earlier this month, he gave me an outside demonstration with that detector, and I was VERY IMPRESSED!! So I am very interested, unless something else comes out before I make a purchase. I'm not trying to act like some expert or even someone who is knowledgable about the F-75, but you might want to TRY the 4-Tone Hi ID with your current settings!! With 4-Tone Hi ID, you will get a Hi-tone on those types of coins, and 3-Cent SILVER & Half Dimes. But,
you will get the HIGHER Hi-TONE ID on most SILVER Dimes and Larger SILVER Coins! My buddy hunts with that tone, and he and his hunting partner, who he hooked up with an F-70, got (3) GOLD DOLLAR Coins within a 2-month period. Hope this info HELPS YOU!! HH, BEST OF LUCK, Les Robinson

Glen,

Nice digs. I run my F75 at DISC = 6 and have experimented with rolling it back to 5, 4, 3, etc. I haven't seen any loss in depth by running at 6, but I see a disadvantage in the extra chatter when you go below 6. Makes the deep faint signals easier to pick up. - Jim