Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found this over at the Whites Forum

PennyFinder

This chap is comparing the GMT to the Scorpion as he owns both:

"Re: White GMT usable for more than gold nuggets hunting?
Posted by: moondog2000 [ Send a Message ]
Date: April 10, 2010 02:08AM
I own a gmt and a scorpion and this is the difference I have found. I have a poker chip with a small flake of gold glued to it, the gmt sounds off on it and the scorp does not. the gmt is 48 kz and the scorp is 15 kz is why. the gmt is easy to ground balance and the scorp is a little harder to master. the gmt is easy to coin shoot with if its not reading iron you dig and hope its a coin, the same with the scorp, if it sounds you dig and hope its a coin. I dig all targets as that is what you do when you prospect. the gmt at 48 kz does not have much depth , most coins I have found were at 4-6 " . the scorp is a different story, at 15 kz I have dug lots of coins at 8-12 " . My wife and I have been prospecting for over a year and have not found any nuggets yet, they say you need to to dig a thousand targets before you will find one and I'm still working on it. when I take the scorp out in the quartzsite gold fields I find tons of targets,I once dug a boot tack at 8" . when I take the gmt out I don't find many targets at all due to the lack of depth, but lots of locals are finding lots of gold with the gmt, I have seen it and that is why I bought 2 of them.the gmt will track mineral in the ground and tell you where to dry wash and that is how I get my gold.I love the scorp ,at the beach it finds tons of stuff , I have the most fun with the scorp. Its a tough call, I 'm glad I have both and that is what I take to the gold fields. If I could only own one it would be the gmt as it will do everything easy."

===========================================================================================================================

PennyFinder

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

Intersting post there between the 2 detectors. It doesnt suprise me that the GMT scores a bit higher in his test as it is newer techology and has more features than the Scorpion. They are very different detectors and both have there place. I Wouldnt mind adding the GMT to my prospecting arsenal. But I'd rather have a new modern version of the Scorpion.

Alan- in Oregon gold country

What impressed me is the Scorpions depth on the big stuff, and by a large margin too! :clapping:
The GMT can almost match the Gold Bug 2 on the tiny 1/10 grain nuggets. The MXT can't do this either as it is roughly the same frequency as the Scorpion. That's a given.
The Scorpion is 10 times the coin/ring machine the GMT is.
The Scorpion has the TR mode for ore testing and hot rock rejection, the GMT doesn't.
The Scorpions ergonomics is much more streamlined than the bulky GMT/MXT, I mount my Scorpion in a rainproof fanny pack. It has 2 holders on it for bear spray and water.
I also own all three detectors.

PennyFinder

GMT is a dedicated gold nugget hunting machine with it's high frequency. Gold nuggets are more or less pure gold, that's what this
detector was designed to locate.
The Scorpion with it's lower frequency is basically a coin machine similar to other detectors in the same frequency range. It's
frequency makes it a excellent machine for finding man made gold jewelry with is made gold and other metal alloys. The other
alloys in man made gold make it more conductive for the lower frequency detectors to pick up.
I believe the Scorpion is based on the old Groundhog series, which makes it a great all purpose machine.
We have used the old Groundhogs for prospecting the tailings of the old abandoned silver mines in
Canada years ago. They work great for locating tiny bits of raw silver and silver ore.

I like that pack you made there penny...!

Alan

Thanks there bearkat,

That trip to Value Village really pays off sometimes. Head over to the bag department and bring the Scorp to trial fit. You may even find a leather one if you are lucky. Then just cut some holes in the pouch for the headphone jack and the coil connector and your set.

PennyFinder

I did the GMT - SCORP comparison hopefully to help someone make a decision. By owning & using both I know exacly what they will do & won't do.I am a gold prospector & I bought the detectors to find nuggets, so far I have found none. When I run my sluice I find a little gold,but when I run my drywasher I do ok to real good. Thats were the GMT comes in ,You follow the paystreak or the mineral reading on the right of the screen, the higher the reading the more black sand which could mean more gold.The only time my Scorp. sounded off on black sand was in a stream bed in a thick pocket of it. Now if you ask me which detector I like the best & use the most the answer is my Scorp. the only reason I have not found a nugget with it is because I have not passed it over a nugget yet, same as my GMT.The Scorp finds so much stuff at depth in the AZ goldfields , I'm sure some items have developed a halo that helps but 22 bullets at10" shell casings at 8-12". My deepest find is an inch & one quarter galvanized water pipe at Heaton flat east fork of the san gabrial river at least 20". My wife & I were totally amazed. A day in the gold fields with our Scorps my wife & I will fill a small coffee can about two thirds full, The GMT about one fourth full of junk finds. I have started searching old house foundations ,old stage stop areas plus try ing to coin shoot using the Scorp,I still don't feel right diging in a park yet but I have sand scoop for the beach which I used last summer I would love a modern day scorpion with all the new features today has to offer.When I go into the field with my Scorp & my GMT I feel I have the best tools for the job & I would change nothing. But by owning a scorp I feel like I belong to a brotherhood or a cult . God knows I have had my share of arguments sticking up for the Scorp at the gold shows & the mineing shops. I would love to find a nugget with my Scorp just to shut some knowitalls up. Now that would be a good day.

Mike, thanks for sharing. Your in good company here and we are happy to have you share your experiences with the Scorpion. It's amazing you are digging .22 bullets at 10", if you are digging them, you will also get the gold if you pass your coil over a nugget. Gold has almost the same electromagnetic conductivity as lead to a metal detector.
Here is a good way to dig a trap door plug in the park: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTDKXethwnk
Here it is with a Lesche tool which I use, you can also use a sturdy knife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqRyBlS8220
Uncle Willy has a slick way to pop coins: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,890545,891297#msg-891297

Head out to an old park with the 3x7" coil which snipes between the trash like gangbusters, use auto, disc, set to preset and your off! Remember the drop cloth and always step down on the plug to tamp it down after. If you do it right you can never tell you cut a plug. The Scorp is a ring magnet, and there's gold in them thar parks!

HH
PennyFinder

Thanks for the vids on cutting a plug, very usefull. The drop cloth looks like the answer to a clean plug.I bought a lesche tool about a month ago, nice tool.We only make it to the gold fields to detect about 10 -15 times a year as you have to drive a long ways so coin & relic hunting is something we can do a lot.Right now I have been detecting friends yards letting them use my extra scorp. Its amazing how into it a person gets when they detect for the first time. they will go till the sun goes down and then you have to pry the scorp out of their hands. anyway thanks for the info & i will try to post some of my front yard finds.