Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found this rock or mineral in my backyard

candicetresch

I found this on my first day of metal detecting. I put it to the side and thought nothing of it, but am very curious to find out if anyone knows anything about it.

It has shiny black material on it.
15908908199343432267898836736128.jpg

Very interesting, Candicetresch. With that black crust, could be a meteorite. Check this link and let us know what you think:
Meteorite Identification: How to Identify Meteorites in 7 Steps
Thank you for the reply. Some of the things listed on that site are true for my find, some are not. Would be awesome if it is true!

Thank you for the reply. Some of the things listed on that site are true for my find, some are not. Would be awesome if it is true!
Have you got a university or college nearby with someone who could check it out? Either way, would sure be interesting to have an expert look at. Sure is a nice size if it is.

Speaking of meteors and close calls, check this out... :LOL:
89846904_2871756526248684_7318016156554493952_o.jpg

University of washington. Are professors willing to do that?
Here's a contact at University of Washington worth a try, candicetresch... If you ask nice and send pics, maybe he can give you an answer... if you find out anything, please let us know! Good luck :thumbup:

Have you got a university or college nearby with someone who could check it out? Either way, would sure be interesting to have an expert look at. Sure is a nice size if it is.

Speaking of meteors and close calls, check this out... :LOL:
View attachment 4153
That was pretty good luck for them to put up a welcome center, and then have a meteorological event just happen in close proximity ,,, who'da thunk it could happen. That was astronomically amazing .
:rofl: :rofl:

Im not 100% sure UW has a Geology Dept but they should. Have you looked in the phone directory for UW Depts? There should be geologists in the Seattle area and if like over here at the Univ Idaho would be willing to look in a heart beat st that. A lot can be learned from a small piece if you’re willing to donate a tiny chunk. Keep looking for someone and keep us posted!

Im not 100% sure UW has a Geology Dept but they should. Have you looked in the phone directory for UW Depts? There should be geologists in the Seattle area and if like over here at the Univ Idaho would be willing to look in a heart beat st that. A lot can be learned from a small piece if you’re willing to donate a tiny chunk. Keep looking for someone and keep us posted!
How do I donate a tiny chunk?

Make contact with the department and establish a contact. They have the knowledge and means to get a DNA sample (best way to describe) without damaging the specimen. Who knows, you just might have the missing puzzle piece that solves the mystery of the origin of the universe! Well, its fun to imagine....... side note: I brought in a blue rock I found to the local university College of Mines. Turns out the blue is a natural color of what I found but its not supposed to be around where I found it. Waited for the Nobel Prize but instead got a “Cool”. Lol