Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found Today...............................

relics4plus

Dug this on private property this morning, with permission from the property owner. I believe it to be Post War but a very nice buckle.

Don't be so quick to count it out as Post CW. I received a copy of Warman's Civil War Collectibles, 2nd Edition (no endorsement) for a christmas present this year, and there is an exact non-dug picture of your same style on page 79 with the old English lettering encircled by the wreath with the original belt issued to the NY Militia. Value for the non-dug plate and belt is estimated at $450- $600.00. Warman's also lists two others without pics; one with the original belt valued at $300.00 and was issued to George Vail of the Union Continentals, and the other is listed as an 1851 pattern with no picture and without the belt is valued at $550.00 Although not definitive, I'd say its from the CW until convinced otherwise. Congrats man on getting the plate and the keeper; sweet find.

[size=medium]Nice find! We have found some NY buttons in Petersburg Va where the 50th NY engineers camped. What state did you find it in?[/size]

Not sure either,looks like Plate 671 on page 405 in Mike O'Donnell's Buckle book. The Dimensions ar 48X73 thought the tongue does not match.

Other resouces I have to help validate your buckle:

Excavated Artifacts from Battlefield Campsites of the Civil War 1861-1865 by Stanley Phillips in 1974, shows 2 dug examples of your buckle on page 12.

Civil War Artifacts by Howard R. Crouch from 1995 shows 2 dug examples on page 201.

Found 10 minutes from Gettysburg? I'd say that pretty much confirms it's CW. Again, congrats on a nice plate.

Nice buckle!!
I'd be happy to find that whether it was civil war era or not.
I'm still looking for my first one.
Congradulations,
Felix