Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frankenstein MXT rig

PSS1963

Recently I have had some soreness in my swinging elbow and attribute it to the hours I've spent detecting. There is arthritis in my family and my orthopedic says repetitive motion can trigger a flare. While the MXT is lighter than my old 6000 blue box, its still hefty if I'm hunting for 5 hours. However, necessity being the mother of invention, blah, blah, blah, a solution has presented itself. I took the old hip-mount rod and grip I used for the blue box back in the 80's and behold it fit my MXT perfectly (yea for standardization!). My biggest worry was that the machine would object to the extra length of cable, but it seems to work just fine. I found some deep coins in a pounded park that others must have passed over in the past. I hold the control box in my left hand and the coil/rod in my right. Its slightly less convenient when its time to dig, but I can deal.

-pete

[attachment 313991 frankenstein_MXT.jpg]

Whatever works Pete. Glad you can still get out and detect. Good thinking!!!!! Sorry you've got that arthritis.

why can't you attach rings to it, like your blue box set-up and put it on the waist. Maybe rings in each corner and figure out a thigh mount.

Nancy-IL said:
Whatever works Pete. Glad you can still get out and detect. Good thinking!!!!! Sorry you've got that arthritis.

The doctor describes my situation as "pre-arthritic", meaning I don't officially have it yet, but its looking for good excuse to flare up.

-pete

Krazyglue said:
why can't you attach rings to it, like your blue box set-up and put it on the waist. Maybe rings in each corner and figure out a thigh mount.

I could do that but to be perfectly honest, I was never very thrilled with that setup. The straps tend to cut in after a while and in my middle age, with a thicker body its all that much more difficult to make them fit. Holding the control box isn't difficult since I don't have to swing it. Side benefit is I can set the whole rig down and have both hands free if needed.

-pete

That's good and at least you're prepare for it. :thumbup:

Very cleever setup! This will keep you swinging a great machine a bit longer!! :detecting:

Update . . . after going to the doctor about this issue specifically I now have a diagnosis of tendinitis - lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) to be exact - and she has me going to PT for it. I did some poking and found out that not only is it common among MDers but can also be caused by working a screwdriver and I was doing a lot of both around the timeframe that it started bothering me. I'm still not hunting but I'm hoping that enough rest, ibuprofen and ice packs will have me in good shape for the nice fall weather. Having the lighter rig should help prevent it from coming back.

-pete

Sorry to hear you've got tennis elbow. With you doing therapy, you'll be up and detecting soon. With the down time, you can do more research as where to get those coins and relics. HH, Nancy