Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frequency offset vs depth

Picketwire

Some time ago on the NASA engineer's forum, he said that before he detects, he checks the depth of each frequency with a dime and that one or two is usually deeper than the rest. He said that it was not always the same frequency even in the same place at different times. He called it the result of silent EMI which caused quite a ruckus.

I decided to experiment to see if this had some validity. I set my Deus on a bench, turned it on, turned the sensitivity down so that the detector was quiet and switched offset frequencies to see if I could tell the difference in depth. There was a definite difference between the ones I tried. There was also a difference in the sound of the tones at the same depth. Some sounded sharp and some were scratchy and warbled a bit. All I changed was the offset of the lowest frequency on the HF round 9" coil. I am going to check it out more and do the same with the Legend. Some people say there is no difference in interference no matter the offset. That might be true for the sound of the interference but the difference in depth seems to me to be there.

Has anyone else tried this and if so, what were your results?

I always carry a coin to check for silent EMI, also to make sure my hunting partner's unit isn't killing my depth without me knowing. Usually I can hear if another unit is scrambling my detector.
With some modern units they have this noise cancel .. I like that feature.
That NASA fellow has been at it for many years . . .gets into the nitty-gritty with detectors . . .he's a bit above my pay grade.

Some time ago on the NASA engineer's forum, he said that before he detects, he checks the depth of each frequency with a dime and that one or two is usually deeper than the rest. He said that it was not always the same frequency even in the same place at different times. He called it the result of silent EMI which caused quite a ruckus.

I decided to experiment to see if this had some validity. I set my Deus on a bench, turned it on, turned the sensitivity down so that the detector was quiet and switched offset frequencies to see if I could tell the difference in depth. There was a definite difference between the ones I tried. There was also a difference in the sound of the tones at the same depth. Some sounded sharp and some were scratchy and warbled a bit. All I changed was the offset of the lowest frequency on the HF round 9" coil. I am going to check it out more and do the same with the Legend. Some people say there is no difference in interference no matter the offset. That might be true for the sound of the interference but the difference in depth seems to me to be there.

Has anyone else tried this and if so, what were your results?
Been there, done that. And it is as you described, using the same settings but different frequencies will cause a coin is detected at different depth. And, the coil style (DD / con) also takes effect to freq./coin depth, but here in I think ground balance has it's place, too.
Never thought having fun will be that complicated. ;) :cool: :giggle: