Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fresh water/ scuba use

Waterboy64

Hello, new member here.
I'm an experienced diver and would like to explore metal detecting at recreational diving depths (60-80 feet, generally) in midwest lakes and rivers.
I use an AT Pro for general land use.
I'd appreciate some direction and recommendations.
Thanks.

The number of machines that are waterproof to the depth you list are very limited. The Minelab Excalibur II and the Fisher Cz-21 are both rated to be able to withstand depths of 200 feet.

I use the Excalibur II. I gave up scuba diving years ago due the lack of visibility in my area. No desire to face an alligator with less than a foot of visibility. I like the Xcal as I am primarily a coin/jewelry hunter and I can discriminate out iron and steel. The CZ and the Xcal are both good machines. I use the Xcal for wading especially in salt water. . It is a multi frequency machine which handles the mineralization of salt water. Depending on who you ask which machine is the best the answer will depend on which machine they use.

I just went through the same process you are going through, and was trying to decide between these exact two models.

Both have great reviews and are loved equally by those that use them.

Price is pretty similar (when new), but the deciding factor for me was the amount of people that heard talk about how easily things on the Excal broke.

Apparently getting a few detects in before having to replace knobs is the normal, and an immediate shaft change is also in order?

Still knowing all that I was going to pick one up, but a used CZ-21 practically fell in my lap so I jumped on it.

I took it to the FW beach just to practice before going under (when the weather turns warmer here that is), and found $9.00! Okay no gold or silver, but for my first kick at the can with this machine I was pretty happy. LOL.....

after 5 years of hard use I finally had to replace the knobs on my Xcal. I personally did not like the crooked shaft that minilab puts on the Xal so I replaced it. Other than those two things I have not had any problems that were not my fault. My Xcal has reimbursed me its cost many times over. I do not find it to be nearly as fragile as some folks claim.

That deep makes sense to have a machine that you don’t have to open the box to charge the battery.

Also the Tesor Tiger shark or older Stingray 2 also 200' depth rating if you said you are going to be in fresh water.