Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fresh water wading

Jackpine Savage

Back when I had the X-70 I used to shallow wade with the 9" MF concentric and found it to be deep in the inland lakes here. Made some nice gold recoveries too! I'm not fond of the pod on a stick waterproof detectors due to the added water resistance. The slim factor of the 9" concentric was a joy in the water due to the low drag. In the past I used many of the chest mountable machines from several manufacturers with good results. But I also flooded and ruined my favorite.

I ordered the 3' coiltek cable extension and will be giving it a another go this spring with the 705. I plan on putting silicone on the extension cable connnector and further sealing it with heat shrink tubing. Not sure yet what method I will use to water proof the control pod or cable and headphone entry but I will come up with something.

Picture is one of the better X-70 water finds I made.

Tom

Hey Tom

Im doing the same thing. I just got the 3' extension. I am dedicating one of my 9" concentric coils to this, not sure if it will be the med freq or high freq yet.
Right now Im planning on heatshrink the connector twice going about 2" past each end and then siliconing each end, probably with the aquarium silicone.
The control head is so light even with batteries its gonna be easy to chest mount and your right, just using the rod in the water without pushing a control housing is gonna be an advantage. Awhile back
when I had an AT pro I called Garrett and tried to get them to sell me a long cabled coil for the Pro for that very reason, but they wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even know who to contact at minelab to see if they would do this so I went with the coiltek connector.

Neil

The compact size of the control head is a definite plus for sure. Have another coil for HF (can't mention the name) that I will be using as well.

Tom

The Xterra is a great machine & is an excellent choice for water hunting. Years ago I altered a hip mounted AT3 to use in dirt/water by cutting the cable & installing a connector. Used a clear, but flexible tube to cover the connector. Inserted a tapered stopper drilled for the cable on each end & compressed them with a plastic/racheting thumb clamp. That allowed me to use any of the 7 coils I had for that series of machine which included the Freedom 111 Coin Commander...Worked great for years . I have since wade proofed a Sovereign & Cz for dual purpose use on salt water beaches. I have a couple of true water units (single tone) for fresh water but have also been considering adapting an xterra to have multiple tones. I have a 705 & 505.& will probably use the 505 since I don't have as much invested (purchased new/full warranty for $20:geek:. The control box is small & light but the rear coil connector will need a different arrangement than my previous setups. Just need to find a box that fits & I'll stay with wireless so only one hole will need to be drilled.....Be another interesting project.
Good luck to you both on water hunting with your xterras.......You should really do well.

Thanks for the informative post. Never considered wireless but it's a great and obvious idea.

Tom

I got some of the self fusing silicone tape to try out. Did a triple wrap 2" above and below the connector/strain reliefs. Will see how that "Tiger" flies.

Tom

Interesting...sounds like a great option. Let us know how it works. Also, a nice Xterra 505 is currently listed on EBay (#192082440746) for a good price. Could make a good wader/backup without a big investment.