Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Freshwater Beach Hunt

azdigger

Went out to a local freshwater beach on the Colorado River , was full of folk this weekend....

Got there at day break...was already 8 folks hunting , I took my place on the beach.
I found 5 pennies , 2 dimes and 2 sinkers plus 3 metal tent pegs . Still learning but I am getting able to tell bottle caps from coins and pull tabs . If it beeps I still dig it but I try to ID what I am about to dig. Hardest thing to find was 2 split-shot sinkers as they was the same color as some of the gravel.

I am learning , finding stuff , but learning.

Does anyone have problems with sand getting under coil cover and how do ya fix it.

I dont know if it is a problem if sand gets under the coil cover but I never use a coil cover anyway.
I figure that in about 10 years should I actually wear out the coil I will just buy a new one ... if still available.

The problem with sand under coil cover around here is we have black mineralized soil in the sand. Makes for interesting readings at times.
I will deal with it , just got to clean it out after a hunt.

I beach hunt a lot in the summer and found that the sand starts a falsing problem after a couple of hours. I used clear aquarium silicone sealer around the coil and cover edge and it stopped the problem. If you need to take off the cover for any reason use a razor blade cut the sealer and you can pop it off. Clean it off and reseal and your back to detecting. Aquarium sealer is inert to most plastics and won't harm the coil or cover.

crk2 said:
I beach hunt a lot in the summer and found that the sand starts a falsing problem after a couple of hours. I used clear aquarium silicone sealer around the coil and cover edge and it stopped the problem. If you need to take off the cover for any reason use a razor blade cut the sealer and you can pop it off. Clean it off and reseal and your back to detecting. Aquarium sealer is inert to most plastics and won't harm the coil or cover.

Sand in your coil cover would not cause any problems. If your beach sand is so highly conductive that a tiny amount between the cover and the coil causes erratic behavior, then how on earth can you detect through any amount of it beneath the coil?

I've heard this "fix" for many years and I've never understood how it could be possible. The soil inside the cover is the same soil you are detecting through to find metals.

Right on Jason and on top of that, its a motion only system so it should only be an issue for PPing and even then as it calibrates it compensates, does it not?