Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

from Minelab to the Deus..

dougj7

I recently picked up a Deus to compliment my CTX 3030.

I think I started out with the Deus settings a little too hot. ie. manual ground balance at -5 of actual ground reading and sensitivity at 95. I used the Basic 1 setting, but reduced the reactivity to 0. These settings made my test garden silver dime at 9" give a good audible signal, but no solid VID. Happy that I could hit the 9" silver dime, I went detecting to an old park. Immediatly, I was overwhelmed with mosquito like tones coming from every sweep. Used to my Minelab tones, I had no idea what the Dues was trying to tell me. I still managed to dig a Buffalo nickel and some pennys, but I was discouraged that I still couldn't understand the Deus.

After reading through the posts here, I discovered this thread called:

Lets start a thread for programs

I used Deusdigger's Trashy Hunt Program on page 2.

When detecting with the Trashy Hunt Program, I was better able to discern the sounds coming from the Deus. I would recommend the Trashy Hunt Program to anyone coming from a Minelab to the Deus because it still takes advantage of of the Deus's extraordinary speed with the reactivity at 3, and runs quiet enough to learn the tones without being overwhelmed with ground chatter and deep targets. After I get used to the tones, I will set the Deus to run "hot" again.

Thanks to Deusdigger and everyone who contributes to the forum.

-Doug

It is a tough switch for me from the Explorer Se Pro to the Deus also, but I am managing. The lack of info in tones was a day and night difference, until I realized the Deus does the same, just in a more subtle way. That high tone, isn't just a high tone, crackles, breakups, bleed thrus, and tones at the end of wigglebacks really do give you a lot of info. Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy it. It is super light, super fast, and a pleasure to use once you can get the Minelab tones out of your head.

I understand your confusion, I have been hunting with an ETrac for 3.5 years and the transition was not "easy". I now have about 80 hours on my Deus and am getting confident on the sounds. Give it some time and it will come to you. I really like how the Deus hunts and the responsiveness is wonderful (not to mention the light weight). I have started cranking sensitivity up to 99 lately and the Deus runs quiet (Reactivity 2).

Last Friday and Saturday I went back to one of my places (adjoining 1912 and 1929 yards) that I had hunted hard with my ETrac (1912 Barber quarter, 4 mercs, 2 buffalo's, 20+ wheaties, 2 WWI medals) and the Deus ability shined through. I ended up with a 1941 Merc (silver 94 for the year, #7 for the Deus), 1920 English large penny, 1937 buffalo, 10 Wheats (1918, 1920, 2x1923, 1929, 1920, 1936, 2x 40's, 1x50's), copper 1940 Rabies vaccination tag, toy truck plus other stuff. There was so much iron in the ground (as seen on the Deus display) that the ETrac was not able to respond quickly enough to show everything.

I am still digging strange signals to learn what the Deus is telling me.

I will never sell my ETrac, but I don't pull it out nearly as often since I have the Deus.

Happy hunting!