Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

From the river today

jabbo

No coins again, but a very ornate sterling silver spoon, solid silver, not plated. Both sides of the spoon shown. Has 4 Hallmarks on back of spoon. Can make out the ANCHOR Hallmark and the letter O Hallmark. I can't tell what the other 2 Hallmarks are, but the ANCHOR tells me it was made in Birmingham, England and it is stamped Copyrighted 1888. At the top of the handle is a Cherub of sorts with a musical wind instrument on its lap. And on the backside of the handle are hand engraved initials but I can't tell what they are. The spoon was solid black from being in the water for a long time, I cleaned it up with silver polish and a brass bristle brush. Also the New Jersey steel sign with baked on enamel, the edges are rusted away. And about 20 lead sinkers, plus an old fork not silver. No old coins but the silver spoon made my day. Will I use this spoon? Yes, for my coffee, it's a beautiful spoon and I'm a very heavy coffee drinker. All I have to do is boil it to kill any remaining germs. Jabbo

Great find jabbo,, beats another rusty gun... super cool find... hallmark ought to give an idea of age.... congrats

Excellent spoon!! Only solid silver tableware I've found has been thrift shop and yard sales ... and not a lot of them! All of the metal detector finds for silver tableware have been plated.

Congrats!

to that same area of the river. Rev War troops were in that area. Water is very shallow, knee deep, no mud, just solid red shale, plus sand and stones in certain places. Anything could be in that river. The spoon was found in the river behind a 1700's house. And there was a 1700's mill just upstream.

That is an awesome looking silver spoon! Congrats on the find.
As bob said silver has antimicrobial properties so the germs should be a non issue(although boiling can't hurt). Silver is such an amazing metal!

You don't need that spoon for coffee.. Use chop sticks.. River should be going down around here.. Trying to decide if I want to go through tick infested woods to the water, or try two spots in the heart of town , with permission, that may yield something. darn hot outside.

Congratulations! Nice find.