Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frustrated on summer hunt sites.

Digdoggy

I just got back from a futile ride around the nieghboring town. I planned on hunting a high school that's older than 50 yrs. My usual is to hit the edges of the oldest used ball fields or whatever sport field. I'm standing on the hill looking down on my promising site and the summer weed and brush growth has covered the entire edges.
The back edge of the old field where I was going has a set of old bleachers against the woods. Can't hardly see them. 5' high with weeds and brush.
So maybe I'll forget the hunt for a few silver coins. I'll mess with the clad. Then here they come, some group and its soft ball practice day. Whole front side of school was the track team people that apparently never quit. Parent and kids all over other clad spots on the property. I'm back home.

That town loves they're school grounds because they're all over the grounds. I guess hunters are hitting these sites very early and I'm just not good at early morns.
Hope you all are doing better than this ....
HH.... Dog

Look on the bright side, all those people are reloading the clad for you to pick up on a not so nice off and on rainy day .. ;-)
Personally can't wait for late fall/winter when it is 40 degrees and sunny with wet soft ground!

As a general rule over here in the UK we have a slack time during the summer months this is due to crops being in the fields,normally we have to wait till August/September time but this year the weather has been that good the crops will be ready 4/5 weeks earlier.Combines are ready to go then i am hoping to get out over this weekend.

Happy days are here again.

ALWAYS have a plan B and C when you leave for a tecting trip....... In your case I might have drove around town looking for another spot or maybe even do some door knocking?

There was a recreation area nearby I've been thinking about. Just this morning my neighbor tells me he sees a couple guys hitting it hard. He says he heard they've tected everything out of the fresh water beach. I got there and it was full of maintenance guys. Just not meant to be today. The woods is what I love and its so overgrown right now. HH all

Digdoggy said:
I just got back from a futile ride around the nieghboring town. I planned on hunting a high school that's older than 50 yrs. My usual is to hit the edges of the oldest used ball fields or whatever sport field. I'm standing on the hill looking down on my promising site and the summer weed and brush growth has covered the entire edges.
The back edge of the old field where I was going has a set of old bleachers against the woods. Can't hardly see them. 5' high with weeds and brush.
So maybe I'll forget the hunt for a few silver coins. I'll mess with the clad. Then here they come, some group and its soft ball practice day. Whole front side of school was the track team people that apparently never quit. Parent and kids all over other clad spots on the property. I'm back home.

That town loves they're school grounds because they're all over the grounds. I guess hunters are hitting these sites very early and I'm just not good at early morns.
Hope you all are doing better than this ....
HH.... Dog

According to how safe the area is or how safe you feel out at night, these places can be hunted at night.
It just takes a little setup to do,
Small flashlight or a couple of small flashlights.
Some Off Bug spray, you have to figure a way of applying it as to keep it off or clean it off the palms of your hands, this stuff is hard on foam grips, paint, and some plastics.

I found that a small detector mounted light like the one pictured doesn't attract bugs very bad. So I use it to search and then I use one of the medium powered headband LED flashlights for digging/retrieving targets. The headband light does attract bugs, but it seem that it takes then a few minutes to either locate you or to get to you, so if your quick at retrieving targets or maybe your clad stabbing you can get your target and turn off the light before to many bugs find you, still yet the OFF spray keeps you from getting bit.

I have these little lights mounted on all my detectors now. I get the lights off fleabay for less than two bucks a piece, I ordered like 10 of them the last time.

I know night hunting isn't for everyone and I know (we know) that they're are places that its just not safe to be out after dark! And, its not a good idea to use full ear cover headphones, I use earbuds.

Mark

Either get there when the sun starts coming up or after its gone down!