Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frustrating Nails...

Hey all, I've been using the 1270 a ton lately. Hits mega hard on coins and such. Easily the deepest detector I've ever used beep and dig or otherwise. One thing that is annoying as all get out is its love for nails. Last night I was doing a section of my back yard that's fairly clean of non ferrous objects, so I was running Primary mode Iron disc maxed, secondary mode Normal disc 6 1/2. I would get a signal in iron disc mode, check it in normal mode, still have a strong repeatable signal and dig up nails, one after another. They weren't even big nails, just 1 or 2 inches long. You guys experience that? I hate having to run really high disc to avoid the nails.

Make a test.
Lay a nail that you just dug up about 2 feet beside a coin/ring and slowly up your disc until the nails no longer makes a beep.
Then sweep over the coin/ring and see if you can still detect it.
hh
skookum

Thanks for responding but I don't know what that would accomplish. I would still have to run a super high disc to avoid the nails. I try to run it at nickle accept but it just likes the iron too much. I might try and get something with a target identification which is unfortunate because this 1270 is super deep.

Lets give this another try. First when you are asking a question like this you must include all your settings, PRI-Mode, SEC-mode, SEN., VOL., Coil size,and so on,other wise we can't evaluate correctly. Now 2" nail, Iron?,Copper? Galvanized? it makes a difference. If there iron and 2"s and can't lose that in I-DISC try raising your coil a little and see if it goes away,(you don't have to SCRUB your coil anymore.in Normal DISC set it to max have the coil about 1 1/2 " off the ground and drop the Disc till you pick up the nail, it should be lower then a nickel which is about a 5 on the 1270. Remember long thin items may give a double hit also how is your sweep speed.and get back to us with your info. And I understand you want the good stuff like gold, silver and coins, it take a little time getting there, WV62"s max DISC was good info for finding good stuff and learning the machine.

Dude you are not listening to anything that all of us are saying Its only one of to things, You are DOING something wrong or there is something wrong with your discriminator and since it a used machine and not under warranty we are trying to provide you with good info to determine how to help you out with the 1270, Ive have been using it for years, awesome machine, you shouldn't be getting 2" straight nails (not talking HUB NAILS) at MAX Iron-Disc or Nickle DISC in normal DISC., Skookum ,WV 62 Have always givien out good solid info.

I have a 1265X and I hated the iron nail affliction of the machine when I first got it. Now I rarely dig a nail with it. One trick that works for me is comparing the pin point signal with the disc signal. They have to be both in the same spot or 9 times out of 10 it is a nail. Also, I have found that good targets rarely change their sound as you rotate around the target and swing it. If you are not doing that already, that is part of your problem! Swinging a target from one direction is always a sure fire way to leave a site with a pouch full of rusty nails. Iron signals almost never sound the same from different directions and the difference is usually most prominent at 90 degrees to each other.

Good luck.

Hi,
I agree with shooter.
That

Way to go Skookum..................