Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FTP product suggestions

I know several months ago a thread was started along these lines. I got to thinking about this stuff after reading posts about the G2 and the GB Pro with the different handle configurations. While this idea could be looked at by any manufacturer, it seems like the FTP lineup is best suited since they are pretty close to it now. This is a viewpoint from a customer ergonomic perspective and not necessarily from a corporate profit minded perspective. Hopefully they could both be met. What if the detectors were produced in more of a modular customizable design? One where a customer could order a T2 and mount it on to a GB Pro style handle? Mix and match different amounts of curves in the rods or straight ones to help balance light or heavy coils. Maybe have different cuff designs that may better accommodate different body shapes and sizes. Maybe upgraded/optional handles that contain some of the switch functions from the control panel.

On the downside I wonder what addtional cost would have to be accounted for as well as additional failure points.

Jimbog said:
I know several months ago a thread was started along these lines. I got to thinking about this stuff after reading posts about the G2 and the GB Pro with the different handle configurations. While this idea could be looked at by any manufacturer, it seems like the FTP lineup is best suited since they are pretty close to it now. This is a viewpoint from a customer ergonomic perspective and not necessarily from a corporate profit minded perspective. Hopefully they could both be met. What if the detectors were produced in more of a modular customizable design? One where a customer could order a T2 and mount it on to a GB Pro style handle? Mix and match different amounts of curves in the rods or straight ones to help balance light or heavy coils. Maybe have different cuff designs that may better accommodate different body shapes and sizes. Maybe upgraded/optional handles that contain some of the switch functions from the control panel.

On the downside I wonder what additional cost would have to be accounted for as well as additional failure points.

Interesting idea, Jimbog. Thank you. I'll pass it on to several other people in the company who are key players in the area of mechanical design. It runs a bit contrary to the direction we seem to be headed right now, but it's not impossible that we could head in more than one direction. In fact, I'm thinking........ hmmmm, sorry, I can't say it here!

Customizable design generally means no such thing as dealer stock, every unit is special order. From a marketing point of view this can be pretty awkward, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. After all, a couple years ago I ordered a new car from the factory because I didn't see the combination of features that I wanted on the lot.

Gotta be honest, what you propose probably won't happen. There's a lot of engineering needed to create a mix-and-match product where most of the possible combinations actually work, and a lot of marketing and logistics creativity needed to figure out how to manufacture and sell a semicustom product of that sort and have it be competitive with standard product. But despite the obstacles, the idea has merit and will get serious consideration.

A few years ago I proposed something somewhat like this, it was considered, and it quickly got shot down. Not because the other people in the company were narrowminded, but because it was the wrong thing for us at that time. We're a different company now and the idea of a semicustom product deserves to be looked at again. Thank you.

--Dave J.

Well if there are say 3 types of upper rods/cuff designs to choose from (A B C) and someone already has a detector but decides they don;t like the upper rod they could potentially call a dealer and buy just the upper rod design that they like. In some cases that may cause someone to keep a detector longer. And mayeb a few bucks extra profit for the dealer and FTP. There is a little bit of that concept with the tall man rods. I haven't taken one apart but I imagine the G2 and GB Pro controls have the same screw mount patterns on the base. Just adapt that into something that mates to different handle designs. On my Omega the screws are hidden so some change would have to be made so they would be easily serviceable. For me the GB Pro handle is a deal maker over the G2 rod. For others it may not be.

A drawback for internet dealers is that the customer can't try out different setups. The store based dealers would have a chance to better serve customers besides showing how a machine beeps.

I won't mention my other detector but I'm about ready to cut the upper rod to make it more comfortable for me. Again if I had the choice I would love to be able to buy different length parts to match my body. We're all different shapes and have different physical abilities.

Glad to hear your comments Dave. Keep up the great work!

Dave J, seems that your more open to idea's than most......
Is there any chance a longer coil along the style of the clean sweep that tesoro has may come along ?
I just thing a longer coil would rock on ball fields and typical soccer fields.

As a dealer, I could see where this could be a nightmare, but possibly feasible. If it were to be a custom order from the factory then it would take a good bit more time to get the ordered product in the hands of the customers. If I were to keep all options on hand, then I would have to keep more options in stock which would be a bit confusing possibly. I kind of like the way it is right now myself as the First Texas products are all very well balanced for most people, and you have several options already like the Gold Bug or The G2 which are about the same machines but different configurations. For Example I have customers that come to my shop with intentions of getting a Gold Bug, but end up with a G2 simply because of feel and vice verse.

I was looking at detectors sitting side by side the other day noticing the differences in the designs and various lengths of the shafts and cuffs between brands. I think a possible cleaner solution might be to make a cuff and handle that could slide on the shaft and locked into position with a cam lock arrangement. These days the handle/controls are normally fixed and the cuff may slide an inch or two by removing screws. With some sort of quick release adjustments could be made on the fly as the detector balance changes with coils or the operators. My favorite setup is the S handle on the GB Pro but I can see where the mechanics of the Omega or T2 might better lend itself to something like that.

Dave Johnson thanks for the consideration and the honest reply. It's great to own a machine when the maker at least listens to the users. John