Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Full Tones? Hidden Advantage?

BHMACK

Has anyone extensively experimented with full tones? I run a 4T that's basically run as a 2T [T1(100)=DISC, T2(100)=<7, T3(800)=8-97, T4(100)=98,99) but I've never had a comprehension issue running a full tone type program on any detector. Just always used a 2T. All that being said, I had someone tell me that he experimented with full tones and in testing found full tones would pick up a target amongst iron that a say 3 tone program wouldn't in certain circumstances, all other settings being equal (subsequently I also heard this stated on a youtube video about full tones). Now this isn't one of those 'that sounds logical' statements so, and as I'm not one to holler out 'that's not true' or 'I doubt that' at the drop of a hat, I thought I'd inquire here before getting out and making a full investigation of this idea.

Been using full tones for over a year and the most important thing it does for me is audio target ID in extremely trashy areas. The problem I found with 3, 4, or 5 tone audio is that you are using at least one tone for iron on the low VDI end, and often another tone for the VDI upper end (for large iron). In this case, you have eliminated 2 tones from your "good targets" and assigned them to undesirable targets (100 Hz tones for junk) when you could accomplish the same task by using the notch windows.

I never really understood the point of 3 or 4 tone audio but I did use it in the first few weeks while getting used to the Deus. Once I found out what good breakpoints were for my style of hunting, it all clicked in one hunt and I became more confident in using this setup. Shortly after that, v3.2 was released, and I was playing around with full tones one night and got curious, then went to the garden. There was no looking back after that point, full tones provided not only an audio signal for a target, but conductivity information as well!!!

Toggling from 12 khz to 4 khz using full tones in trashy areas gives good info on non-ferrous and ferrous targets alike, as good targets will decrease in pitch while trash targets will either disappear or remain high-pitched although choppy. I find coins under bottle caps very often, so if the caps aren't too plentiful I like to get them out of the way and rescan, hoping to find a masked coin previously invisible.

Thanks for that info CZ. I use the setup I do to give all non-iron one tone (800) and all iron one tone (100) as I am a relic hunter and dig anything that's not iron (except bottle caps, foil, etc. at the rare sites I hunt that have modern (>1940) trash). I am getting pretty fair at discing modern trash by audio. I haven't really found the need to break my audio between say 10-97 as a coin will hit at 90+ and alert me it's probably a coin/token. Other than that I rarely look at the screen.

I am curious about this and will run full tones on my trashy area program that I bounce to when needed, but that currently uses the same tone setup I use for field work. If I can get conductivity info with full tones that I would otherwise have to rely on the screen for I'm in!

Thanks again!

I only use full tones. It takes a while to get used to, but I feel it is worth using. I only look down at the remote just before digging as I do a quick double check with 4khz. The numbers change if they are ferrous.

BHMACK said:
If I can get conductivity info with full tones that I would otherwise have to rely on the screen for I'm in!

Thanks again!

This works great in those rainy hunts where the control box is either in the car or in the pocket. The more conductive the target is, the higher pitched audio you will receive. Where I hunt there are almost always s slew of copper pennies that read "85-88" in 12 khz, but silver dimes will read "89-91". When you get the coil over a silver dime after digging a bunch of copper pennies, you know it before you glance at the screen. Larger silver gives an even sweeter sound, there's no question once you get over a goodie like this - full tones is deffo the way to go if you're digging 200+ targets per hunt! :thumbup:

I agree as well...
Full tones...you dont even need to look at any screen for an ID anymore....the tones let you know size, depth, metallic property, etc....I dont have a Deus, but run what is called 'Delta Pitch' on my F70..it assigns a different 'tone' to the full range of targets from 1-99..it has a super fast recovery circuit, so in that respect its a similar machine to the Deus..:shrug:...its certainly the only way to go in the trash or anywhere else for that matter....like CZ said, for those 200+targets/day I dont know how anybody else can do it with just 4-5 tone, and looking at a screen for ID...I know some do, but I doubt I could...for going on 5yrs now, just Full tone hunting..:thumbup:..
Mud

I have two programs I use.
When coin hunting I like to isolate the zinc pennies to their own tone and the next high tone for dimes and up.
I also include the nickel for a high tone.
Now if I'm gold hunting I use 3 tones, iron, nickel-pull tab and then coins for the high tone.
I love this machine.

This past few days I ran my regular tones and checked against Full Tones, and for a few hours ran Full tones and checked against my regular 2 tone setup described in my OP and there does seem to be different information coming though with Full Tones. There were more than a few HC targets with multiple pieces of iron in close proximity that seemed to be much clearer as a good target with FT. I'm beginning to think there is much more enhanced separation (comprehensive) and decision making target information coming through in Full tones. I think this may be important and with a little more follow up I think i'm going to change to FT, particularly in my junky site programs.........