Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fun afternoon relic hunting

Dirt Poor

A friend and I went digging at the site of a large CW encampment this afternoon, and it has been hunted to death over the years. It is in the woods, and the timber was recently thinned-out, so we were able to get the coils where we never could before. Log "drag-paths" and dozed trails really helped us out. I found a couple of Sharps bullets, couple Spencer casings, and one Enfield, which still has the solid wooden plug in the back. Also found a Burnside cartridge that had been complete, but it crumbled away(except for the bullet). The T-2 was hunting against an Explorer II, and it held it's own! I beg to differ with the T2's claim to be able to hunt 40 hours with fresh alkalines, though. I have lost the top 4th segment of battery life twice after approx. 5 hours of hunting time. It may achieve that goal if you keep hunting down to the last segment, but I doubt if mine will go 20 hours even doing that. No complaints, though, except for that possible issue.

n/t

Dirt Poor said:
I beg to differ with the T2's claim to be able to hunt 40 hours with fresh alkalines, though. I have lost the top 4th segment of battery life twice after approx. 5 hours of hunting time. It may achieve that goal if you keep hunting down to the last segment, but I doubt if mine will go 20 hours even doing that. No complaints, though, except for that possible issue.
You didn't mention which batteries you were using (brand) or if they were started up fresh from the package. Losing the top segment of the battery indicator after 5 hours isn't that far out of normal. That happens with all of the Teknetics models (and top-end decline after a little while), and other makes and models as well.

You also didn't indicate what settings you were using, or if you used the speaker or headphones. If you are hunting a site with a LOT of targets then the detector will be working the battery life down a little faster because the circuitry is 'busy,' but I have had very good battery life from the T2.

I haven't measured it, yet, but plan to this winter when I do some battery-life comparisons with an assortment of batteries as well as detectors. All will be operated continually, and will be sweeping over dirt with ferrous and non-ferrous targets.

I almost always use my Killer B Wasp or SunRay Pro Gold headphones so that can help extend my battery life a little over speaker-only operation.

Let us know, if you keep track of the run-time, just how long your batteries last.

Also, keep finding more good stuff. !!!

Monte

Thanks, Monte! I was using Energizer alkalines and Gray Ghost headphones. I did hunt a couple hours today, and when I started out, the 4th(top) battery segment had returned(same batteries). It stayed with me for about 30 minutes, and I still have 3, so it may not be too bad after all. I'm bad about wanting to put in new batteries at the first sign of weakening, but I realize that with the T2, that may not be necessary. All I found today was one Spencer casing and some old shotgun shell butts.