Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Funkyphones update........

A

Anonymous

Hope this is not too confusing.....
For reference, I will refer to the side with the cord jack as the "right" side and the one without the jack as the "left".
Took both sides of the phones apart. Initial reason was to try to push the elements farther back. The grill in the right side was making contact with my right ear. Not enough to be a big thing, but wanted to see if it could be fixed.
Found that the left side could be pressed back, but the right side could not. The element was pushing against the jack.
Anyway.......
Removed the jack and ran the wires out thru the hole. Rigged in some extra wire and a 10K pot to see what kind of resistor value would be needed to tone them down.
That's when I got a big surprise. The volume was not nearly as loud as it had initially been. Was only hearing sound from the right side until I moved the right from my ear. Then I could hear the much weaker left side.
Observation at this point........
How deeply the elements set in the cups makes a TREMENDOUS difference in volume.
Obvious at this point that adjusting the seating depth of the elements could be used just like using separate volume controls.
So what to do about the right (unadjustable) side????
A bit of inspection showed that the jack could be moved back a little. Also, the shape of the shell was tipping the end of the jack forward.
A little work with a chainsaw file elongated the mounting hole back as far as I dared go. There was getting to be more curve in the shell at this point.
The jack was tipping at a worse angle toward the element now.
Next came the Dremel tool attack!!!!
Did some cutting (the shell was thick enough to allow this) on both the inside and outside of the shell in the right places to get the jack sitting vertical instead of tipped.
Now the right element could be seated back in farther than before.
With only a bit of experimenting on element depth, I have a set of phones That are loud, but not too loud, with balanced volume.
Got the shorter and lighter cord from RS, but did not notice that both ends are right angle until I got home.
Will get a straight plug to put on one end next time in town.
HH

Good for you. I love to read that you are trying to make them better, and surprised to learn abougt the positioning of the speaker elements.
Great Stuff. Hack away my friend. That's what it's all about.
Good Show!
fod:)