Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Funny Green Rock…

david bull

So, I was out hunting arrowheads and ran across this funny looking rock.At first I thought it was a piece of glass but it seems to be made into the rock…
9D8CED1B-F702-474E-8C52-0773D1D617C5.jpeg

Do a search on green quartz crystals and go to images. Most of the results are links to its "healing power" and and places to purchase them. It could be worth more than just a very nice find. Very cool rock! It pays to keep your eyes open.

If you’re anywhere close to a University go see the Geology Department. Excellent free information.

I'm thinking Emerald.
Numerous ice ages have ground across the continent. Dragging materials from Canada south. Here along the shore of lake Erie in Ohio. All the way south of Columbus. Is mostly all glacial till and meridian material brought down from Canada. I believe that could be from Canada.

So, I was out hunting arrowheads and ran across this funny looking rock.At first I thought it was a piece of glass but it seems to be made into the rock…View attachment 31132
The metal looking rock around the beautiful green crystal could be chromium. A typical dopant that creates emerald in quartz matrix.
I truly hope you've found something truly special.
Don't break it up. So much more valuable in matrix.
I think you've found something really special.
Go back and look for it's Friends ...

Hardness Test can help -
The hardness of a mineral is determined by scratching the mineral with a material of known hardness.
The materials that Geologist’s use to test mineral hardness are a set of minerals of known hardness called the Mohs Hardness Scale.
There are ten minerals in the Mohs Hardness scale assigned numbers from 1 to 10, where 1 is the softest mineral possible and 10 is the hardest known mineral.
The ten minerals and their hardness numbers are listed below:
1 talc
2 gypsum
3 calcite
4 fluorite
5 apatite 6 orthoclase (a common form of potassium feldspar)
6.5 Glass
7 quartz
8 topaz
9 corundum
10 diamond.

Looking at it closer it appear to have 6 sides or hexagonal. Half of it imbedded in the host rock. R2-D2
Typical of calcite or quartz.
Both stones are most likely the same material.

I’m thinking maybe this was a trade item. I can’t say where for obvious reasons, but I have found lots of Indian relics in this area.