Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Funny thing... E-trac Vs. Explorer

cdsmith46

Couldn't help noticing how many people seemed to be happy with their Explorers. Please understand, I am on my 3rd explorer, and had an xs, so this is not trash talking in any way. I long ago started away from other brands of metal detectors when I bought the first model of the Sovereign in 1994, and I have owned 4 ofthem. I have never needed another brand. But there did come a day when I moved away from the Sov , even though I maintained that it was the machine that God used when he went m/ding. I suspect that most of us on this forum have had more than a few machines in our lives, but we were at some point ready to try something different.
So what I find interesting, and very human, is that some people will knock a machine (CTX3030) that they have never had their hands on, or get incredibly defensive about a new machine vs the one that have used for (X) years, or whatever. Not knocking anyone, just sayin, human beings are funny animals. How many of you who have been hunting for say, 20 years, have never gone to a new machine? Be honest, Ya'll.

Etrac Explorer SE
Number of Target ID Segments 1750 Unlimited

Number of Audio Tones 30 Multi-tone

just a couple things ive noticed in differences in the etrac and explorer which IMHO is why many people prefer the EX SE over the ET

which has 1750 target id segments and which has 30 tones. i've only used the explorer but i thought both would be about the same on target i.d. and audio. thanks.

Etrac
Number of Target ID Segments =1750
Number of Audio Tones = 30

Explorer SE
Number of Target ID Segments = Unlimited
Number of Audio Tones = Multi-tone ("hence maybe the musical comaprisons?")

Etrac does have a "slightly" faster processor and and from what ive read has a smaller learning curve but these two cats* seems to give the EX SE an edge over the ET

From checking my E-Trac and, also, the SE manual on the Minelab website, this is the comparative info.

I am not saying that one machine is better than the other. I have had two XS's and now have an E-trac and a CTX. All are great machines. Just in the learning process for the CTX. I never had an SE, but based on the other Minelab's that I've had, I'm sure it's an excellent machine as well. Bottom line "the equipment is only as good as the operator", what works for one person may not be what works for another...HH

SE: 31 horz. segments for Fe and 31 vertical segments for Co. 931 individual squares for making disc patterns.
SE: Multi for both Fe and Co sound selection. There would be 31 sounds using the Fe multi setting or 31 sounds using the Co multi setting (I didn't find an option of 1,2, or 4 tone in addition to Multi)
SE: Threshold Tone range 1-10. (TONE allows you to adjust the tone of the Threshold

I've been swinging a detector for close to 40 years now and I have swung more than a fair share.

I've owned both and now own a CTX 3030. Personally, I found enough difference between the SE and the E-Trac to warrant keeping the E-Trac and selling my SE. It just seemed more accurate, faster, and more stable, but that is just me. I also found more than enough difference between the E-Trac and CTX 3030 to warrant selling my beloved E-Trac.

I learned a hard lesson some 20 years ago. At that time I was one of those "my old faithful can do anything your new fangled detector can" and "it's all the user not the detector" types, but it took a White's Eagle Spectrum and our city park to knock that crap out of me. Now I just laugh to myself when I see someone posting that crap.

Southwind said:
I learned a hard lesson some 20 years ago. At that time I was one of those "my old faithful can do anything your new fangled detector can" and "it's all the user not the detector" types, but it took a White's Eagle Spectrum and our city park to knock that crap out of me. Now I just laugh to myself when I see someone posting that crap.

I was not implying that a high tech machine was no better than a lesser advanced machine. MY point was..........You can have the most advanced machine on the planet, but if you don't know how to operate it, you might as well be using a RS $19.95 special. Hence "the machine is only as good as the operator."............Good Luck with the CTX......HH

Southwind said:

Amen. If I had $2500 bucks and my wife would not shoot me on sight, I would now own and cherish a new CTX I'm sure. For now, the explorer SE is by far the best detector I have owned to date.

Personally i saw no need to upgrade to an ET im quite happy with the SE and my finds. If i had $2500 to spend on a detector...... well i can think of a COUPLE id like to own. As far as people being religious about the machine they use...... well you are asking the question on the SE Forum.

Dew