Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

g-2

jmaryt

hello all!
was wondering what you guys think of using the g-2 as a
"high discriminate" trash picker!.do you feel the g-2 is the best detector for this purpose?
i just want to hit the average "'super old" park,or other very old site that has 'tons" of "crap" in it
to pick off the "old" stuff "masked" by junk!..if you think there is another detector better than the g-2 for this purpose,then i am all ears!
thanks in advance for any and all comments!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The g2 is great at picking between the trash but if set at High disc you will get more of the masking effecting the unit. Also Ive noticed that in high trash areas I seem to get less depth due to the surface trash. Picks between it fine but doesn't seem to punch to much below it unless there is good separation of targets. I wish I did know of the perfect detector for this but I think that will be the next big leap in tech we are all waiting for.
HH

Slow it down and a small coil and you will do fine.

Ken in Georgia said:
Slow it down and a small coil and you will do fine.
Ken's right If you put the five inch coil on your g2 It will make a world of difference as far as your finds. The five inch coil is like a scalpel in the dirt cuts right through the trash and right down to the good stuff. I was amazed the first time i used mine and never took it off since :thumbup:

do you hunt in 'high discriminate"? with the 5" coil?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

do you hunt in 'high discriminate"? with the 5" coil?

No I hunt at tone break 40 nothing disced out, And hunt that way with both the 11 and 5 dds. I primarily go for the gold as there are not many silvers around here. I prefer to hear everything so i know when to slow down and take my time. To me this is the best way to unmask things or look between the gaps in trash. My Gb has paid for itself four times over in a year and a half with just gold jewelry not counting clad and silver I have found. The G2 still has not struck gold so far but just got it. I think I might have one with problems it overloads on pull tabs close to the surface? And misses foil right on the surface that my bug hits hard on.
I have hunted on high disc but not for long as I am afraid of missing rings. It did very well at nabbing the clad !
Hope you get what your looking for.
HH

thanks for the input was just curious as i agree with your position of possibly missing gold targets!
my ulterior motive for asking is because i am wondering IF you set the 'speedo" at say,60,or 70,or so,
and just "cherry picked" parks,would you LOSE enough depth to possibly MISS the silver buried a little "deeper"
just wondering about this!..has anyone hunted this way? IF so,what kind of "depth" were you seeing on 'coin" targets!
my "gut" feeling is,that you might miss silver because of two reasons:

1) discrimination is set too high resulting in depth "loss"

2) if you set "speedo" too high,will lose silver because of too high discrimination, (resulting in depth loss)
and the operating frequency is too high! (19khz)

(h.h.!)
j.t.

My habit is to hunt in Disc at 0 with Gain wide open. When I go over a weak signal and go back over it in All Metal I don't see any improvement. I know the theory and all but in practice I don't find any better performance so I stay in Disc and just watch the world go by. Then again I have a plain Bug not a Pro. :cry: Poor me.
Tom

Tom Said,
Then again I have a plain Bug not a Pro. Poor me.
Tom
Don't feel too bad about that plain bug, Is yours one with manual ground balance? I have a version 2 non vco and so far it is hotter than my new G2 I got for comparison.
Sometimes less is more!!!:clapping:

My g2 i go at disc 50 sens 100 with my five inch still gets the gold as well as deep coins just pay attention to your vdi numbers and memorize them as far as what they bring up out of the ground. Works for me:thumbup:

yeah! it's what i figured too !i like the fact it's NOT effected by (e.m.i.)
runs quiet,and doesn't lose depth with a high "speedo" great!..thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Mind you, these are simply my opinions, but are based on using the G2 since it's introduction in side-by-side work against the likes of the Teknetics T2, Omega, and Gamma, and a White's MXT Pro, M6, and modified IDX Pro and a Garrett AT Pro.

dirt lizard said:
My g2 i go at disc 50 sens 100 with my five inch still gets the gold ...
I set the Sensitivity at 100 most of the time. Usually, I don't encounter much EMI problems with the G2, but that isn't always true. There are several inner-urban locations in the Portland, Oregon area that give the G2 fits. At a few I can even run my Omega with less sensitivity reduction and the Omega operates smoother and still gets better performance.

I seldom run the Discrimination higher than '40' because I like to hear everything present, allowing the bass-like lower tone to help qualify most potential iron junk. One thing I wish the G2 provided, as well as the Omega and gamma, is a true full metal acceptance in the Discriminate mode. I am referring to a lower Discriminate setting that would just ignore ground mineral challenges and pass a target signal.

Both an Indian Head cent and a sample iron nail I use, with my 'Homestead Rock,' a Dirt Clod or with two smaller rocks with a coin in view between them, are not able to respond because the G2 and 'Greek series' models do not adjust low enough to be all metal accept settings in the Discriminate mode. Others, such as the M6, MXT, IDX Pro and Teknetics T2, DO adjust lower in Discrimination.

Because I hunt a lot of sites that are rather high in ferrous type mineralization, as well as being plagued with nasty black sand, pea gravel and other rocks, or plowed fields and disturbed ground with ample dirt clods, I like to have the option of hearing ALL targets.

The 5" DD coil is what I prefer to leave mounted to the G2 because I use it in the ugliest of trashy sites, and yes, it does hit reasonably well on most of the smaller gold jewelry I find.

dirt lizard said:
... as well as deep coins ...
I can't agree with you on this one, however, because I have NEVER found my G2 to get the depth on coins and similar-sized targets that I do with other models I use or have compared it with. This is especially true on the higher-conductive cents and dimes, but quarters also. Oh, yes it works and will get many coins, but it isn't a deep-seeking coin unit, to be sure.

dirt lizard said:
... just pay attention to your vdi numbers and memorize them as far as what they bring up out of the ground.
I use the VDI numbers or any models Target ID, but I rely on it more selectively because I work too many sites where the ground mineral challenges shift the target response higher or lower quite often, plus nearby masking trash can also influence the VDI numeric read-out..

It's good to hear the audio and see the response, but TID & VDI shouldn't be relied upon.when conditions can influence their accuracy.

Monte