Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

G2+ coin hunting settings

I only hunt in discrimination mode but after trying the all metal mode a few times, the F19/G2+ will definitely go deeper in all metal. No real surprise there. I personally can't handle the constant noise of the all metal setting especially in trash but if you can, go for it. It will get the deeper coins that might be missed by setting the detector in discrimination mode. I've found coins at a decent depth with mine in discrimination (set at zero) and gain set at maximum (100). You can set the volume to whatever you like if you don't mind hearing the iron grunt sound. I set mine at 10 to kill the sound of iron targets altogether. I do wish the F19/G2+ had a slight boost in gain when wanted and a threshold control in discrimination but alas they don't. It is still a great coin shooter.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I have been running it disc all the way to 80 with a notch of 5 starting at 54, volume at 10 and digging everything that's repeatable. I feel like I might be missing some of the deeper higher conductors??? I tried running the disc at 50 but way too many signals in the parks I hunt.

To answer your question about the Omega/F5 and deeper coins, yes I think they go slightly deeper on silver coins.In a super trashy site there are other detector characteristics to consider though.
I checked your settings and although some say the G2/F19 will not lose depth with discrimination up, I have my doubts. If you are looking for deep coins mainly, I would only use discrimination at zero. I've never used discrimination past zero on mine at all and I've hunted mega trashy sites with lots of success (old silver coins and relics below recent clad, foil wrappers,pull tabs, iron bits and bobbles, etc.) By setting your volume at 10, you at least eliminate most if not all iron targets. Then you can set v-break at a numerical value higher than 40 to transfer the good signals of the VCO to an iron grunt. If you set your v-break at 60 for example, every target past 40 will give you the grunt of iron and everything else will give you the distinctive duck quacking noise of the VCO.
I find it essential to use good headphones with the G2/F19. The signal gets fainter as depth of target increases so you really need to hear the fainter sounds the VCO can yield. The volume of smaller deeper targets past 5 or 6 inches really goes down fast. Only the shallow coin sized targets are really loud (2-3 inches) .

Hey Mike, took your advice and hunted today at zero disc and v break set at 50. It takes a little to get use to it but it works! I found some wheats at 5-6” the site I am hunting is loaded with iron. I found nails in the same holes with the coins today. Also found a really nice silver with turquoise bracelet and 2 more war nickels! There has got to be some silver coins there. We only hunted about a 10x10 foot area today. Hope to try again tomorrow.

That's one heck of a beautiful bracelet ! Looks old to me. Nice patina and the stones are all there. All that in a 10' by 10' area ??? It's worth investigating further.

I don't recall you telling us what coil you were using. My coil of choice on the F19 is the 11 DD. It has the perfect combination of depth vs coverage. On a trashy site like yours though, you might want to start with that coil and take out the obvious then put either the 5 X 10 or 5 inch round and get the masked targets.

Be careful with that v-break. If you set it too high, you might miss some gold. You might not want the very small rings and ear rings but that's up to you. I found a very small ring last year and it was a solid 48 on the F19. I think I had v-break set at 46 that time. Slightly higher and the detector would have given me the iron tone (I would have past it). If you would like to search for silver in that area before digging every good signal, you could always set your v-break much higher and ignore everything until you hear the good VCO tone. The only 2 silver items that are less than 80 on the F19 are small ear rings and the old Canadian 5 cents (of the things I have found at least).

What was the target ID on that bracelet ?

I too believe the bracelet is old. The lot I’m hunting had a house from the early 1900’s that was recently torn down but the yard and sidewalk strips have been untouched. Yes I’m using the 11” DD coil. The bracelet was about 4-5” down and id was around 82-84. I might cherry pick the place tomorrow and see what I can find. I did notice the wheats I found that some were hitting in the mid to upper 70’s. Probably because the iron around them? I have been digging all repeatable signals. I’m hoping to get some Indians there. Dug a ton of trash! But I think you got to, to get the good stuff!
Happy hunting!

I have been thinking.... The entire weekend hunting at these 2 demo sites from the early 1900’s I did not find a single dime or quarter??? Kind of strange. The next time I hit them I am going to take the Omega and see if I can find anything the G2 left behind.

Try to search the site in another direction. It can yield surprising results. I was thinking the site might have been cherry picked for silver. It happens. They might have just missed the bracelet. Keep us posted.

Hey dfmike, what is your favorite coil on the G2+ (and the T2), or have you posted that elsewhere? Also, best settings for Indian Heads?

Being Canadian, I never found an Indian Head. It will probably happen one day or another as I've found a few old silver and copper coins from down south. My favorite coil really depends on where I am hunting. Usually the smaller coils work better in heavy trash but overall I really like the Fisher 11 DD. It has a good balance between depth and separation and the weight is just right. Last summer I hunted almost exclusively with a Mars Tiger just because I wanted to try one. It's a really good coil as well. It's slightly deeper than the 11 DD and I haven't really noticed a negative impact on separation for the bigger 10 X 13 coil. It's very light as well. That's for the F19/G2+. I don't have a T2 but would really like to try a T2+ or F75+ one of these days.

I can not find silver anything. Everything else....I can find. I'm either not understanding what I'm looking at or hearing, or maybe I just haven't went over old doin. But, by now I'm sure I have. Can anyone out there help with the process of what they go through...and how, during the hunt for older deeper coins. Particularly, what you see and hear, or experience? When it hits food numbers sweeping one way and bad, sweeping back to the right, do you still dig that?... I haven't had any luck digging it when it reads that. but if you all could help with any of this. I'd really appreciate it. I think I'm doing it all right, just need some pointers. I'm on sand and dirt mostly. mostly trashy sites

moosezilla, what machine do you have (I assume a G2,G2+) ? Have you ever found old nickels, old pennies ? When I say old, I mean from the 50's and older. If you haven't found any you are not hunting the right areas. You might get lucky hunting here and there but research will help you find the right places where silver coins can be found. There are mainly 2 targets that signal to me that I am in an area with potential (after doing some research of course). Square nails and either wheat pennies, century old Canadian large cents or any other copper small denomination coin that goes back to the years I mentioned above. Where these are found in good numbers, chances are I will find silver. I might also find a few musket balls or a belt buckle in the same areas but they are less common. As for what to look for on the detector, personally on the F19 I never go by sound for coins. The VDI is very tight and stable on the 19 kHz Fisher detectors for non ferrous coins. Silver coins will almost always show an ID of above 80. Even the super small and thin Canadian 5 cents silver fish scale will ID above 80. Copper coins will also ID in that range so you will have to dig them.

Sometimes I also check depth readings carefully when I am in an area that I know the ground has not been disturbed by human activity through the years (these places are getting rare). If I keep finding modern clad and trash in the 0-3 inch depth, I will look for deeper coins by looking at the depth reading when pinpointing. If I get a stable VDI in the coin range at 5 inches or more, I will dig for sure. Depth readings are not super accurate and large or very small objects will fool it but I have found many old coins by digging the deeper target readings where clad and trash seem to lie solely on the first few inches. Good luck !