Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

g2+ compared to XP Orx

relicmeister

I like what I see in posts and videos of the teknetics g2+ and am considering one. I also have Equinox 600 and an XP Orx. My question
Is does the g2 offer anything that the equinox and Orx does not? Is it complimentary in any way?
Thanks for whatever comments you may have

I’ve owned several iterations of 19khz FT machines. I’ve owned the 600. And I’ve studied the ORX quite a bit as I’ve almost pulled the trigger a handful of times on one.
There are some minor things the aging g2 can bring to the table still and if FT would revamp them and the T2 we’d have a real treat in our hands.
1. The audio is a perfect blend of bold and soft VCO 2 tone. It’s great. It’s more refined on this machine than the 2 tone on any other FT model.
2. stability. 100 gain all the time, any coil.
3. ID accuracy. Since it’s limited with only 2 tone (adjustable break point) audio, we are lucky that it ID’s exceptionally well all the way to fringe depth.
4. Ability to accurately identify larger iron targets makes it a truly great relic machine.
5. using small coils, it’s separation in iron is quite amazing. Compared to say the NOX and multi kruzer, it will find things just like they do in dense iron. I’ve tested these 3 against one another in the field.
6. it’s All Metal mode is probably the best I’ve ever seen or used. And way deeper than Disc mode.
so what’s working against the g2? No wireless. Very basic settings. A lot like simplex. It’s not even weather proof. They go through 9v batteries pretty good too. I get maybe 10 hours to a new copper top. It’s really not deep on coins, even with larger coils. It is pretty good on deep brass and lead though. A 13” coil gives the g2 good depth but They shine as shallow unmaskers for me. A lot like Makro stuff. Overall they are worth the money and very ergonomic. Dated ergonomics though. No cool collapsible shafts or anything.
To be quite honest, I’m not sure what the g2 can do that the ORX cannot. I would imagine ORX with elliptical coil can outperform the g2 in most instances other than perhaps ID and stability. In my closet, missing is the Kruzer, Equinox and others. This next season I Kept onto the T2,G2, simplex and am trying an Omega 8500 for kicks. I’m confident in this group of machines. The simplex performs much like the T2 in my testing. Surprising.
good luck with your choice! My g2 has never left me with buyers remorse!

The only advantages the G2+ (make sure you buy the G2+ it has some features that are not on the older G2) has over the Equinox is the same advantage it has over just about any VLF metal detector.........one of the best threshold based All Metal modes on the market, period and very immune to EMI with the right coils. Its All Metal mode is very stable and very fast using the 10X5 coil. I would not recommend the 11x7 coil if you hunt in bad EMI.

The disadvantages are too many to enumerate here comparing the G2+ to the Equinox. One big one for me is it is not nearly as stable target ID wise as the Equinox in my hunting areas in moderate to high mineralization. Up averaging of target IDs on low and mid conductors starts at 2 to 3" here. Very annoying digging a 6" silver signal and pulling out a pull tab that should have read 25 to 30 numbers lower.

The advantages the G2+ has over the ORX.......it actually has better target ID stability in my hunting areas, I can easily read the display and I can put the coil underwater without losing the detection signal. Also, for those like me that forget to charge my ORX or Deus, I just need to carry a spare battery for the G2+. The G2+ is also easier to ground balance and is easier to operate in general. Pinpointing is easier and the tones have more nuances than the ORX tones in my opinion.

The ORX has four very different search modes and two customizable slots along with 21 to 35 different frequencies depending on what coil is used. Wireless is great (except in the water) and the MI6 pinpointer paired with it is really great. Since it is ID normalized for 18 kHz, the numbers are very similar to the G2+. I have owned both and I still own the G2+, Equinox and Deus.

I could go on, but the G2+/F19/Time Ranger Pro which are exactly the same detector are excellent bargain buys. A G2+ and an Equinox make a good pair since the Equinox does not have a threshold based all metal mode.