Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

G2 finds...relics and silver

sekypaleo

First real run with the G2..hit two spots...a local park on Friday where I snagged 2 silver quarters and Saturday down south with my dad at a CW site. The G2 kicked the Omegas butt! Got an eagle cuff and an eagle cuff button back...both at 7-8"...the Omega did not even beep on them and that was with sens at 99. Great machine!!!!

That silver is great. I've only snagged a 1919 mercury dime and 1954 silver quarter so far. I really try super hard for the silver.

What are the two small lead balls in the lower left hand corner?

I found one recently and I thought it was some type of modern buckshot.

Nice finds !!!

Were you using BOTH the G2 and Omega at the same time and check all targets before recovery?

What were the setting used on BOTH the G2 and Omega?

Which search coils were used on BOTH the G2 and Omega?

You only mentioned the Omega had a Sensitivity setting of '99' but that was it. It would help to know the coils used, Sensitivity levels, Discrimination levels, and Tone ID used on the Omega (d1 or d2 would have been a fair comparison). Also the coil and setting use don the G2.

Oh, I know what the g2 can do, but I usually have the 5" DD on my G2 due to the trash encountered at the sites I hunt. Some find the G2 to work much quieter at higher Sensitivity levels than the Omega, but you did state the Omega was a '99' Sensitivity so now I wonder. I definitely know the strengths and weaknesses I experience with the G2, but I am also well aware of the performance I can crank out of both an Omega and Gamma. A lot depends upon the settings used and coil used. Oh, let's not forget sweep speed as they do need or prefer a bit different sweep in some environments.

Not to fault the G2 or your very good results. Just trying to clarify a flat statement. Thanks,

Monte

Monte said:
Some find the G2 to work much quieter at higher Sensitivity levels than the Omega,

Monte

Some? Have you heard anyone say that's not the case?

I'm seeing more and more Omega detectors being sold on Ebay.

I might order me one.:)

tabman said:
Monte said:
Some find the G2 to work much quieter at higher Sensitivity levels than the Omega,

Some? Have you heard anyone say that's not the case?

I'm seeing more and more Omega detectors being sold on Ebay.

I might order me one.:
smile:
Tabman, I have to tell you that Yes, I have seen a few G2's and Gold Bug Pro's get sold or traded locally. Not a lot, but some. Why? For one, they are still in demand and are sell-able, but the main reason is that most users are not getting the depth in the Discriminate mode that they hoped for. most of them lean more the direction of silver-shooters, too.

I have found many people looking for a top-end (top-dollar) detector and a 2nd or back-up unit, but not liking the total dollar cost of a pair of detectors. I've demonstrated many different makes and models this past three weeks and, while some have bough one of my favorite detectors from White's (former White's loyalists), most have picked two Teknetics models.

Those who wanted a G2 w/5" DD coil but also a very versatile general-use detector for most coin hunting and other searches have bought the G2 and an Omega, or the G2 and a Gamma, and then only needed one 5" DD coil and spare lower rod. I have some other detectors on hand, personally, but my main-use duo right now is a Gamma and G2. With one spare lower rod for the 11" coil I keep the stock coil on the Gamma, the 5" DD on the G2, and most tasks are easily handled.

All are good detectors.

Monte

Monte-----Why the Gamma (and G2)?----I thought you were mainly using the Omega (and G2)--also the T2.------Is there something about the Gamma that you now prefer as a "main use" detector over the Omega?----Just curious-----------------Thanks, Del

A friend was quite curious about the Omega so I loaned him mine to work with on his hunting trip back east.

I am especially using the G2 w/5" DD coil, but right now my main use duo models are the Gamma and G2.

Now, as for a 'preference' for the Gamma over the Omega? Out in the rural areas, no. They both perform virtually the same Same Tone ID options, same Ground Grab and manual GB capability, same Discrimination range. The main differences are that I like the rod/grip system on the Omega and G2, but I found that in many of the noisier urban locations with a lot of EMI, the Omega requires a lower Sensitivity setting than does the Gamma.

Do I miss my Omega? Yes, in a way. The Gamma is honestly the same performance, but the Omega does provide more Fe3O4 info, the Ground Error reading, the Ground Phase setting during the search, Ground Grab and manual GB on-the-fly, and is comfortable. The Gamma is also comfortable, but what I miss most about the Omega is the elliptical 10" concentric coil.

Also, as I've stated recently, a lot of people looking for 2 detectors that can share search coils tend to pick between the Omega and Gamma to go with the G2 based upon their available funds.

Monte