Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

G2 function question?

godigit1

Hey guys,
At what point does your G2 overload? Will it overload on a pull tab right on the surface yet miss small foil you can see right on the surface?
My Gb does not do this and I was wondering if its normal for the G2? Or is it time for a visit to the shop. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Digit

godigit1 said:
At what point does your G2 overload?
Overloading depends upon the size and shape of the target, the size, shape and design of the search coil. The sensitivity level used. And the proximity or closeness of the search coil to the target. There is no blanket answer.

godigit1 said:
Will it overload on a pull tab right on the surface yet miss small foil you can see right on the surface?
It depends on the coil used and how close it is to the pull tab. If the pull tab is of 'average' size and laying on top of the ground, and if you are running a higher gain level and sweeping the search coil almost right on top of it, you might get an overload. If you're a small distance away, you won't.

godigit1 said:
My Gb does not do this and I was wondering if its normal for the G2?
Using the same search coil and settings there shouldn't be a difference. We were told the Gold Bug Pro and G2 use the same electronic circuitry.

godigit1 said:
Or is it time for a visit to the shop. What do you guys think?
I don't think there is a concern. Are you getting an overload response on a pull tab that is very close to the coil and not from a small piece of foil? Well, that could be quite normal and all you need to do is raise the search coil about 1" or so away from the target. If it is a too-larger target then the overload might still be present (such as a brass sprinkler head or water meter cover, etc.

Don't sweat it, just go detecting.

Monte

Thanks for the input Monte!
Good points but the thing throwing me off is that it overloads without any motion????
The best way for me to describe this was to do a video.
If anyone can help me out with weather or not their G2 is doing this It would really help me out. I don't want to send it in if its normal for other G2s out there.
I bought the unit used from a forum sponsor so it has no warranty and it will cost me to fix it if necessary so I really want to be sure whats going on.
Thanks in advance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7T2u53sqvk

godigit-------You can lay your concerns to rest, you have no problem/issue with either your coil or G2.-----My wife & I each have G2's (in fact we have three G2's) and your question got me curious enough I did my own tests as you described.----I tested two 11" DD coils like you have and one 5" DD with various pulltabs, crowncaps (steel b.c.'s) and coins I use in my different tests.------The results were all the same with all three detectors & the different coils---when you lay any of the (various) pulltabs directly on the bottom of the coil with the G2, you are going to get an overload signal.----Also, if you do further tests, you will notice that the same thing happens (overload) with nickels directly on the coil.---B.C.'s laid on the coil in this manner will overload also.-----If you check a ZINC penny (not copper), you will get an overload signal on it also but only in a certain area on the coil.-----Halves & silver dollars will also give this overload if laid DIRECTLY on the bottom of the coil.-----Dimes & quarters will not overload, you can't get them to overload no matter what.-----Also, these tests were done at various sensitivity & disc levels (min. to max) and the results were all the same as described (with the three detectors & three coils, 11" & 5").------Bottom line---it is not a problem AT ALL & it only occurs when said items are "dead" against (on) the coil.-----It is the "nature of the beast" (G2).----------Just use & enjoy your G2, you've got a WONDERFUL detector in it!------In 36 years, I can honestly say that I've never seen a detector & 5" coil that can pick thru iron (or any trash) in the great fashion the G2 does. :thumbup:-------------Del

Del,
Thanks for taking the time to check your machines out, that's good news! It was throwing me off because my bug does not do it but it is a non vco version 2 software so not apples with apples.
This saves me some bucks because I bought it used.
Strange that the dime and quarter do not do it though, I did not try that and will have to because now I'm curious about that.
Thanks again for your help!:clapping:
Be Well
Jim