Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

G2+ Notching

TN Mike

I'm a trahsy parks hunter and am looking for a machine that can notch the thick trash quietly as possible and still pull some goods out.

Is the G2+ quiet in the trash or does it pop and click over shallow targets? Been swinging the Racer 2 here lately and the noise of the disc popping and clicking while the coil is over shallow trash is killing me.. I believe the disc noise masks small hightone blips that I would otherwise hear,, unless I go super slow.

I responded to that in the Fisher thread where you asked the same question about the F75:

The F19 is a quiet machine if you want it to be. With the F19 or G2+ you can easily take out iron with FeTone volume and then either use discrimination or set up a variable width notch wherever you like in the target ranges. You can also use V-Break but that's not quiet, it just assigns a low ferrous tone to whatever target range you want. I'm using that more and more to assign a low tone to the small bits of foil just above iron that the F19 seems so sensitive to. I guess it depends on how many notches you want and where you want them.

I'm not sure what you mean by pop and click on shallow targets. Do you mean it makes noise even if the specific targets have been notched out on the Racer 2? Is it what most would call falsing ? I've never used a Makro detector so I can't speak for it. All I can say is that the F19 is my favorite detector in trash. No pops and clicks here. Super fast recovery speed. The target is either there or it isn't but it certainly helps to slow down in heavy trash no matter what your detector is.

Perhaps others with the G2+ or F19 can chip in as well.

fast detectors are going to chirp a bit in heavy trash its just how it is , but after some hrs and digging those chirps become near silent as we learn what they are saying and that takes some effort in the 1st 100hrs or so to learn the detectors little quirks..

or did I say 1000hrs :lmfao:

no perfect detector they all have things they do well and not so well or are just total crapola at :biggrin:

F19 is a great detector in iron its right up there in heavy trash its right up there is it silent V brake it and turn down the disced out numbers and they are a crackle and the good stuff pops or whispers nice, I don't do many free ad's for detectors these days and I do this one for the F19 because Dave J is a good bloke and Fisher have treated me well in the past.

its one of my keepers unless the newer modal comes out with features I need the F19 will be taken out of my dead cold hands :goodnight:

AJ

I didnt think about the fact that the f19 and g2+ are the same machine when you posted on the Fisher forum. Thanks again for your thoughts on the f19.

The reason I didnt look into the f19 but rather the g2+ was the ergonomics. I like the Teknetics ergonomics over the S shaft of the f19.

I plan to make a video of the noise the R2 makes in trash. I dont think I could handle 100 hours of near surface pulltabs poping as I pass over them. I need silence. And or at-least a machine that notches quietly enough so that on edge dimes dont get missed in between the pops. I do have a new coil for the R2 becase the other was falsing, but I dont think it has anything to do with the way the machine notches. We'll see..

sometimes we just don't click with a detector I have bought many and sold many and have 3 more that will leave my list in the next few months and the F19/G2+ isn't one of them.. my point is its like trying on clothes some fit some don't or we don't like the style etc.. so we try something else yeah we may lose some $ but at the end of the day why go detecting with something I don't like it needs to fit me well and how I detect to stay..

good luck in your search for the right fit..

AJ

TN Mike, I'd like to see a video about exactly what you mean. I get the idea and to me it sounds like what my F44 used to do. Lots of noises that became undecipherable. It meant double and triple checking almost every target. It had nothing to do with normal tones. Too much snap crackle and pops.

amberjack said:
sometimes we just don't click with a detector I have bought many and sold many and have 3 more that will leave my list in the next few months and the F19/G2+ isn't one of them.. my point is its like trying on clothes some fit some don't or we don't like the style etc.. so we try something else yeah we may lose some $ but at the end of the day why go detecting with something I don't like it needs to fit me well and how I detect to stay..

good luck in your search for the right fit..

AJ

Amen to that. Ultimately I think it depends on what the OP is looking for in a detector. No detector has it all. Make a list of what is most important and find a machine that fits that description. Youtube videos have been a great help in my buying decisions. Nothing like a well recorded live dig video to get a feel for what a machine can and cannot do. It's the next best thing to trying before you buy. The main strength of the F19 and G2+ for me is that at their respectful albeit limited depth (compared to others) they will tell you what is underneath the coil better than most. If ground balancing is done right, there is very little second guessing and to me that makes detecting fun.

dfmike said:
TN Mike, I'd like to see a video about exactly what you mean. I get the idea and to me it sounds like what my F44 used to do. Lots of noises that became undecipherable. It meant double and triple checking almost every target. It had nothing to do with normal tones. Too much snap crackle and pops.

Its is a mixture of ergonomics and audio that I cant seem to enjoy about the Racer 2. In short if the machine didn't kill my wrist I would give it my all to keep it as my "all around machine" as I love its speed and ferrous non ferrous separation. I pulled a button at about 8" next to a 6" iron nail.. nail was about 2" away and the Racer drilled it with the 7x11.

The loudness of the pops and crackles is what gets me in the audio department. I could handle them but I know for a fact that a piece of can slaw will crackle loud enough to mask small blips like dimes on edge or slightly masked targets.

Moving slower with the machine has produced good results. I've pulled nickles out of trash that I missed with my Tesoros. These sang out clearly but were found with a slow swing speed.

Never-tha-less I'll try and make a video.. its a good machine, amazing in iron.. but just not so great in the egronomics/audio department for me..

I'd love to try a G2+ though..

Edit:: MInd I've never really used notching detectors.. I've been a beep and digger for the most part.. digging everything right below a nickle all the way up for the last several years and apart from that a whites mxt.. so no notches for me.. but man would I love to find a machine that does it quietly..

I think I have learned that its quick to see what a detector is good at in the 1st 50 hrs say, less really but anyway say 50. and in that time it will also show me what its not so good at and what its totally crap at so I have learned not to fight them anymore and make them do something they don't want too.

so if they fit my style of detecting and fill a spot and suit my current conditions they stay and if they don't they go...

I have not used every detector ever made by a whole long way would love to try them all???

but what I have also realized that after 5 years getting to know a detector its real hard to bring in a new one and spend 5 years getting to know it so my detector buying is slowing right down as I think right now all the spots are full and some have to goooo...

its the devil you know right :buds:

AJ