Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gain settings

What are most of you running for gain? I hunt high trash areas and usually have my gain at 7. If I bump it up to 8 or 9, will I get some of the deepies I may not be hearing now? Will it make the detector more unstable or false more by turing up the gain?

HI Todd yes !!! it will make it false more and unstable when Im in real trashy areas I will turn it down to 6 or 5 even thow you start losing depth turning it down the falsing stops and you can pull some of those coins that arent that deep that every one else has passed overand on the other hand if I go to an older area where coins or relicks could be found and the ground is real clean no modern trash ill turn it all the way up hope this help man take care .Frank

It is my opinion that there is a big difference between GAIN and SENSITIVITY. The following is my understanding.

NOISE

The question that I ask is "What is noise". In my opinion, "noise" is generally caused by outside electrical interference being picked up by the search coil. That is why the EXPLORER has a NOISE CANCEL operation. There is almost always going to be a certain amount of noise present, even from the detector circuits themselves.

Junk targets and ground mineralization are not really noise, albeit annoying. These factors can be controlled by the automatic ground balancing or discrimination features of the Explorer.

STABILITY

I am not sure that this term has been defined very well. If you hear a lot of targets in the ground does that mean that the detector is unstable or that there are just a lot of targets in the ground? If you do not like to hear a lot of targets and you make adjustments so that you do not hear them, then you are going to miss some good stuff. That is the price you pay for "more stable" operation. I think that everyone has to decide that for themselves.

SENSITIVITY

The SENSITIVITY setting sets threshold level (not the same as the THRESHOLD TONE control) such that targets that produce a signal below that threshold level will not even give a target indication. This means that very small targets close to the surface or larger targets that are deeper will produce no target indication and result in a more "quiet" operation.

* The penalty for setting the SENSITIVITY too low is that you may miss some of deeper good targets.

* The advantage is that your brain is under less stress trying to figure out all of those "ghost like" signals.

GAIN

The GAIN setting only effects those signals that break through the threshold. It does not cause more targets to break through the threshold. For those signals that just barely breakthrough, then the target tone will be made to sound louder as the GAIN is increased.

For any GAIN setting there is always a maximum loudness generated. This is to protect the users ears from excessive loudness. The maximum loudness is controlled by the VOLUME/MAX LIMIT setting.

* The advantage of setting the GAIN lower is that one can more easily determine how deep the target is by the loudness.

*If the GAIN is set to the maximum, then even the very deep targets produce a much louder sound, but it is more difficult to tell how deep a target is by the loudness.

If the very frequent target sounds cause mental stress, then lowering the GAIN makes it easier to ignore most of the marginal targets and still allow the more interesting target tones to catch your attention.

Hope this helps,
Glenn

...no matter what you believe, read over the info in the link below. There is a section that addresses "Gain", but the whole thing is well worth reading. I started using these settings for most of my hunt spots and doubt I will be changing them very much. If you haven't tried it, it's worth a try.

http://usetheminelabexplorerlikeapro.blogspot.com/2004/11/chapter-2-charles-rock-solid-set-up.html

Here's a contrary opinion. I don't use the increased gain at all. I want to know by sound if the target is deep or shallow as I hear it, and the gain removes that advantage. I run on 4 and have been very happy with the results. If it's a weak signal I'm on it. You don't get more signals by turning up the gain they just get louder. If you've got good phones try 4 and see what I mean.

Mike,

Very early on in my Explorer experience I exchanged several emails with Charles. Since that time I have been using the setup he recommended. He knows what he is talking about.

HH,
Glenn

A friend and I have been hip deep in building ourselves a better beach coil for the Explorer. One of the goals is to reduce or eliminate the falsing that takes place in the wet sand on our NE salt water beaches. Coils which seem perfectly stable in the dry sand false when you move out onto the wet sand or into the water. All the coils we have tried seem to false, stock coil, ML 8, and the other brands. The degree to which they false varies quite a bit, and even with a group of stock 10.5 ML coils some are more prone to falsing than others.

I noticed something when we were testing an 11x14 eliptical recently that got me thinking about sensitivity verses gain.

My friend had his sensitivity turned way down to reduce the falsing, something in the 16-18 range which I hear is common for beach hunters. But he had his gain higher, 8-10 so that he would not miss the small gold.

I was setup just the opposite with my sensitivity at 26 and my gain at 5. Here's my reasoning for this...if you rated a target on a scale of signal strength from 1 to 10 a coin or ring might be a 10 compared to a wet sand false which is more like a 5. But when you increase your gain it boosts the wet sand false higher in volume to the point that it sounds about as strong as a coin or ring and so it was difficult for me to tell the difference between a wet sand false and a real target.

But I thought what if I reduced my gain to 5 (I normally run it at 7), that might quiet down the wet sand falsing to the point that I could ignore them and just concentrate on the loud stronger signals. That approach worked out pretty well as it turned out. I was still digging deep and sometimes quite small targets.

Now here's the interesting part of this story. I had a decent signal on a deep target and asked my friend to come over and check it before I dug it. He could not hear it at all, yet it was pretty decent on my machine. It was a bit fainter than a solid signal which makes sense with my gain at 5 but it was clearly there. With this gain at 8 or higher why couldn't he hear it???

Here's the question...which is processed first by the Explorer electronics, the gain or the sensitivity?

Keep in mind that the Explorer transmits at 100% power no matter how you have your machine set up. When you change your sens or gain its just modifying that signal its not varying the amount of transmitted signal strength or received signal strength. Its saying here's a signal in my electronic brain, and based on your settings it processes the signal and provides you with a response.

Now...does it make sense that it would process the gain boost first before the sensitivity setting? I think not. It makes more sense to process the sensitivity setting first, eliminating the unwanted noise and ultra faint signals and then apply the gain boost in volume to those that are left.

This would explain why he could not hear my target, with this sensitivity turned way down to 16 I think it eliminated this target where as my machine at 26 allowed it in. Therefore a higher gain cannot boost a signal that has been eliminated already by a lower sensitivity setting.

This is just a theory, but I think a lower sensitivity even on the beach is not a good thing which has been my experience in land hunting deep targets. Something to think about.

I find your thoughts also pretty interesting.
Could you please elaborate a little more on your theory?
"The SENSITIVITY setting sets threshold level"
In a simpler form? I read and reread manytime and plainly don

Ray.

I tried in my original post to indicate that the term "threshold" is used in two different ways. I will explain further.

THE THRESHOLD TONE

The Explorer has a THRESHOLD TONE setting is explained in the Explorer II manual on page 50.

The threshold tone is what is heard when there is no target under the coil. There are two factors associated with the threshold tone.

#1 The pitch of the tone can be set from a very low frequency to a rather high frequency. Where you set it is strictly a matter of personal preference. Personally, I set it to the lowest frequency to accentuate the higher tone targets.

#2 How loud do you want the threshold to be?

#2a Some people like a loud threshold tone, some like a very faint threshold tone and some people like no threshold tone at all. I like a very faint threshold tone that is just loud enough for me to tell when a null is generated by a rejected target.

#2b You will note that on the right side of the small version of the Smart Screen (or the Digital Screen) there is a vertical scale labeled "THRESH". There are two buttons on the right side of the control panel that are used to adjust the threshold tone loudness.

THE SENSITIVITY THRESHOLD

The sensitivity threshold is controlled by the SENSITIVITY setting and has nothing to do with the THRESHOLD TONE behavior.

If a target is very small (like small surface trash) or very deep (like buried pipes or large trash), then a weak signal is picked up by the coil. The very weak signals might also come from ground mineralization or electrical interference. We would like to have some way to eliminate annoyance that could result if there are too many of these weak signals, particularly if you have the GAIN set very high.

The SENSITIVITY setting is a way of telling the detector that if the pickup signal from any source is not greater than some minimum (or "threshold") value, then do not give me any indication that the signal was even detected.

* The advantage of a lower SENSITIVITY setting is that the detector runs more quietly.

* The disadvantage of a lower SENSITIVITY setting is you may be missing some valuable targets.

I hope this makes more sense.

HH,
Glenn