Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GAMMA 6000 GROUND GRAB VS OMEGA 8000

Markmac

Ok Monte and the rest of you gamma 6000 owners i just bought a gamma 6000 as a back up detector for my Omega,ok Monte you were right lmao.Well anyway after assembly yesterday and fitting the 5inch coil from my omega and briefly scanning the owners manual which i should have read better lol i headed acroos the lake to see how the Gamma would perform...having the Omega 8000 and knowing how to groundgrab with it i didnt pay much attention to the gamma section about groundgrab figuring hey i know how to groundgrab the omega the gamma will be the same...NEVER assume lol.So i go to the park i hunt set the sensitivity at 80 the volume at 8 and enter the all metal mode to try and find clean ground, once that was done i switched to the groundgrab menu to pump the coil up and down to my surprise all it would do is give thart groundgrab alarm and and two flat - - on the screen with out locking on a specific groundgrab number.Im thinki ng whats wrong with this my omega always grabs the ground in no time locking on a number and im ready to go,wel not so here so i try a few feet away the same thing over and over again the alarm sound and no ground grab lock on number unless i released the groundgrab push button..So i switch back to disc mode and start to hunt to see if it will work this way,to my amazement the Gamma perfprmed like a champ im hunting with 4 tones sens at 80 and disc at 40 and this thing is singing the high tones all over the place.I hunted a small area by one of the ball fields and was hitting pennies dimes and quarters all over the place yes all clad but even a few coin spills on with a nickel id and with a high tone not knowing what to expext but yes was a nickle and a dime in the same hole.Must have found 20 plus clad coins in the hour i was there and the 5 inch coil and the Gamma performed great.I tried a few more times to ground grab while i was there with the same results loud alert with the two - - straight lines on the screen.I headed home and picked the owners manual up to read the ground balancing section more carefully to find out if i was missing anything, lol guess what right there in owners manual it states if your ground balance is 40 or below the gamma will not ground grab and will give you an alarm and the two - - straight lines on the screen.I read that twice thinking damn it does work diff then my Omega...So thinking i had a problem i guess in reality it was doing what it was suppose to but was just my error in thinking it would lock on a ground number...Most times with my Omega it will ground grab in the 50s somewhere never in the 40s so not sure whats going on with the gamma unless its just set to where if you dont have a high ground number it wont lock on and is more automatic similiar to the delta,any one else have this type of experience with your Gamma?..Its going to be a great addition to the Omega being able to have two diff coils on and not having to change each time the hunting conditions call for...I look forward to all your comments and any help you Gamma owners can pass on to me...Have a great week hunting....Markmac

We have a break in the November weather for another two days and it will be sunny and warm, so it's off to the beach with all the Teknetics models just to evaluate the new G2. Oh, the punishment I put myself though. :lmfao:

Markmac said:
Ok Monte and the rest of you gamma 6000 owners i just bought a gamma 6000 as a back up detector for my Omega,ok Monte you were right lmao.
Other than the physical rod design, there are only a few differences between the Omega and Gamma. I've let a friend use my Omega and he;'s now planning on a new detector .... the Gamma. Why? Because he likes the controls, doesn't like the knobs, gets about the same performance, and uses all the same coils. Also, he says he likes the lighter 'feel' of the Gamma due to the rod and coil weaight/balance.

Markmac said:
So i go to the park i hunt set the sensitivity at 80 the volume at 8 and enter the all metal mode to try and find clean ground, once that was done i switched to the groundgrab menu to pump the coil up and down to my surprise all it would do is give thart groundgrab alarm and and two flat - - on the screen with out locking on a specific groundgrab number.Im thinki ng whats wrong with this my omega always grabs the ground in no time locking on a number and im ready to go,wel not so here so i try a few feet away the same thing over and over again the alarm sound and no ground grab lock on number unless i released the groundgrab push button..So i switch back to disc mode and start to hunt to see if it will work this way,to my amazement the Gamma perfprmed like a champ im hunting with 4 tones sens at 80 and disc at 40 and this thing is singing the high tones all over the place.I hunted a small area by one of the ball fields and was hitting pennies dimes and quarters all over the place yes all clad but even a few coin spills on with a nickel id and with a high tone not knowing what to expext but yes was a nickle and a dime in the same hole.Must have found 20 plus clad coins in the hour i was there and the 5 inch coil and the Gamma performed great.
A good report on your day at the park, but I knew what to expect regarding the Ground Grab results. :rofl: Still, that Gamma and 5" coil will pluck the coins for you, to be sure! It does well for me as my full month of September proved as the 5" was all I had mounted to my Omega all month.

Markmac said:
I tried a few more times to ground grab while i was there with the same results loud alert with the two - - straight lines on the screen.I headed home and picked the owners manual up to read the ground balancing section more carefully to find out if i was missing anything, lol guess what right there in owners manual it states if your ground balance is 40 or below the gamma will not ground grab and will give you an alarm and the two - - straight lines on the screen.I read that twice thinking damn it does work diff then my Omega...So thinking i had a problem i guess in reality it was doing what it was suppose to but was just my error in thinking it would lock on a ground number...Most times with my Omega it will ground grab in the 50s somewhere never in the 40s so not sure whats going on with the gamma unless its just set to where if you don't have a high ground number it wont lock on and is more automatic similar to the delta, any one else have this type of experience with your Gamma?
There was an oversight in making up the Owner's Manual for the Omega because it should have that same info, as found for the Gamma and T2, about the Ground Balance settings. Have you used the same 5" coil at the same site on an Omega? There can be a little differences in GB readings from model to model, but they ought to be very close. If you haven't used the 5" coil at that site until the other day, then it's possible it is just the nature of the ground make-up because the 5" coil will 'see' less ground than a larger coil. I know that the 5" on he Gamma and Omega and G2 that I've been comparing always has a slightly lower Ground Phase read-out than the larger coils in most ground conditions.

Markmac said:
Its going to be a great addition to the Omega being able to have two diff coils on and not having to change each time the hunting conditions call for...I look forward to all your comments and any help you Gamma owners can pass on to me...Have a great week hunting.
Mark, for decades I have preferred to have more than one detector, even with similar performance, just to keep them outfitted with different coils so I can simply grab the model/coil I want for a given site.

Now, I have to say to do like the 8" coil on the Gamma for a lot of hunting, just like I do the 10" elliptical on my Omega, but I added to the dilemma now with the G2. I'll keep the 5" on the G2, the 10" on the Omega, the 8" on the Gamma, and the 11" that came with the G2 will stay on a lower rod for quick change onto ANY of these three models. Now, am I set to go? :)

If I was planning on using the G2 most of the time with the 11" coil, which might be the case if I lived close to and hunted the beach a lot, then the 8" would sit at-the-ready on a spare lower rod because I'd do just what you did ... leave the Omega with the stock 10" concentric and mount the 5" on the Gamma. A fine approach to dealing with multiple coils.

As for performance like the Delta, now, both the Gamma and Omega are designed to work in the Disc. mode based on the Ground Balance. You possibly had a good enough Ground Grab to get by in discrimination at the park across the lake. The Delta is just factory preset for a higher Ground Phase to better deal,with all locations, but the properly set GB by the Omega and Gamma can give them a distinct advantage.

Let us know about future hunts with the Gamma and 5" DD.

Monte

Hi Monte thanks for your reply and i look forward to anyone else that wishes to add to this posting.I remember from the email i had sent you before your accident{ its good to see your recovery has went well for you} that you preferred the gamma over the Delta at that time since it had the ground balancing similiar to the Omega that you owned.You had told me that you were going to do some testing with the delta but then you had your accident and i have followed your posts very close and have noticed the great things you have said about the delta since that email several months ago so i knew you had done the research with it that you said you were going to.We all have learned much from you for that I thank You.

as far as have i used the 5 inch coil on my Omega in the same spot as i was using the Gamma the other day the answer is no i dont think so i have used the Omega there at that same location but it had the std coil on it at that time.I have used the 5 inch many times at the park with my Omega and it has always ground grabbed no matter which coil was on it so i was a little confused and concerned why the Gamma would not ground grab and only gave me that constant alarm sound and the two _ _ lines across the screen.After reading the ground grab section on the Gamma i thought well ok thats normal but never had that type of concern with the Omega..I will have to try a diff coil on the gamma to see what the results are trying to ground grab with bigger coil.So far im impressed with the Gamma with the 5 inch coil but have not had the chance to use it since that first time out.if i cant get the gamma to ground grab with the other coils i will have to manually ground balance i guess and try to figure out if maybe it has a problem or just wont ground grab in my Illinois soil which the Omega usually balances in the mid to upper 50s.Im glad i went with the Gamma Monte and i know it will be a great addition..Thanks...Markmac