Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garage sale find

laynecarr

Hey all: Went to a garage sale last weekend and scored a 1996 Garrett GTA X1000 Power Master for $85. Seller threw in two sand sifters, a 4" sniper coil, extra extension pole, and a Garrett two pocket waist pouch. The detector is very clean looking, but the battery cases were very corroded so I ordered new ones from Garrett (which came with a new slide-on case for the battery cases, a new phone-type cord, and new case doors). Unfortunately, it still wouldn't fire up. Sent the housing and the two coils to Garrett for repair (along with the other new parts) and I can't wait to get it back. I've read this machine is great for separating nickels from foil and pull tabs, and you can eliminate surface items if you want to concentrate on deeper targets. I'm using my Ace 250 to death and look forward to adding this new (to me) machine to my rotation. Mike

Good score! Hope it doesnt cost much for the repairs. If you dont mind please follow up with what they did and the price. Always wondered if it was worth it to send em in for repairs on something like that incase I stumble across a deal sometime.

Thanks Ben

Will do. I think the nice woman who answered the phone told me it was $40 just to send it to them (plus $15 for postage). I'll let you know the final bill.

Mike

that's a rather good coin machine with good id, I borrowed one from a relitive & used it a few times. The 1 i borrowed would occasionally hit 2 targets at once the screen would show 2 blocks separated by blank space(s). Dont know i\f it was supposed to but it did--- there were 2 objects under the coil (a coin + a piece of trash) & it ided both correctly. Get to know it ull be surprised.

Just been reading the posts to see what's happening and got nostalgic about my first detector...Garrett grounding.....earlier today. Want and got it out, threw the batts in and.....holy cow!....fired right up......it's from back in the seventies when I started MDing had various since then . There are deeper seekers today, but not by much! Says a lot about "staying power"....GO garrett!

[size=x-large]It is one grate machine, you will love it. I let a friend of mine take the one I had, that was years ago, ain't seen it since

Cupajo[/size]

@Laynecarr any updates on the machine yet? Still wondering what they did to it to get it working again and how much it was. Up here garage sale season is right around the corner and will be on the lookout for any good deals if its worth sending them in for repairs.

Okay, I got the MD fixed by Garrett in a week. Still haven't received it back, but here's the cost breakdown:

$85 purchase
$15 to ship to Garrett
$47 to repair and ship back.

Garrett couldn't fix the sniper coil, but I still think I got a heck of a deal for $147. Keep in mind I got extra extension poles, two sand sifters, and a shoulder strap (plus the irreparable sniper coil). Once I get it back I'll post my digging finds from this machine and post a comparison to my ACE 250. .

Garrett was wonderful to deal with (especially Myra) and they've certainly earned my business.

MIke