Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garmin eTrex 20

Bubby

Anyone here using the eTrex 20? I received one the other day as a birthday gift and was really excited. The thing looks cool. Now this being my first GPS it seems to me that it is hard to put in your coordinates. I did download basecamp on my computer.

Is there a easier GPS out there to use for metal detecting?

How about smart phones? I don't have one, just use a regular flip cell phone.

Hi Buddy,
I don't own a Garmin eTrex 20 but I do own a Garmin GPS Map 78s and 6 other older Garmins. I just want to tell you to be patient and study you're Garmin before considering a smart phone. I have enough experience with Garmin GPS units to say that a smart phone will never do what you're Etrex will. I also own a Iphone 4G and it will not come close to what the Garmin will do. I would also suggest that along with Basecamp that you purchase the maps of you're area. I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to GPS but I am sure a lot of people would agree with me.
Good luck,
Rick

I am using an etrex 20 for metal detecting and it's great. I have free topo maps on micro sd card for (Australia) Learn how to use it!

For what you need from GPS in metal detecting, IMHO a smart phones are not all that smart. A decent dedicated GPS receiver (and your's is) has everything you need. Like with every tool, you have to learn how to use it to get most out of it. Just like with every tool; a device may seem to do it all but nothing really well or... it can do one thing and than it does it really well providing that you learn how to use it well.