Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garret ATX is on it's way!!

Stitcher71

Hello all! Just joined the forum and finally taking the plunge into the oh so interesting world of metal detecting!! I live in NH, about 10 mins from the beaches.

NOW!!! Before y'all go and jump on me..... When I get into a new hobby, I tend to go whole hog. For example...I just started home brewing this past summer and instead of just starting out with a quick, 1 gallon Mr. Beer kit, I built and entire all-grain set up. ;-) It's what I do.

So....after a ton of research and videos and much internal dialogue, I decided on the ATX. I know...not the smartest way to go for a guy who's never held a metal detector, but I'm a fast learner and I have this wonderful resource full of all of you folks! I went with the ATX as I will mostly be working surf and beaches in New England and on the Gulf Coast of Florida. And it also seems like it'll work well if I can find some spots to shoot inland. I just hope I'm too late to the game to find anything out there! haha Plus, with my current job, I get a lot of time off, so I may even try to head out west and see what there is to find in the desserts and mountains!

Any advice on setting up and using the machine will be greatly appreciated. (She arrives tomorrow) Also any tips on beach and surf hunting would be great. I'm also interested in learning how to get permissions to detect on old battlefields. (Something I've wanted to do since I was very young) And does anyone know anything about going West?

Thanks again for any input! Please don't be too hard on me! LoL I'm a 45 year old man and am just now getting into this hobby...didn't want tot waste anytime learning on a machine I'd have to upgrade in a year.

Welcome to the Garrett ATX fraternity. It's a totally different kind of machine. It's a "BEAST"! You live in the perfect area to utilize it to it's maximum potential, which is hunting places hit hard by others. The setup is quite simple. It will pick the best operating frequency for you with the push of a button, then ground balance it, set the threshold to your preference. and set the sensitivity up as high as the machine will enable.....BEEP- Dig BEEP - Dig BEEP - Dig. Get a good water scoop....you will need it!.

And, a gallon of that brew sounds pretty appetizing at the moment!

Help ATX Videos - http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_atx_videos_en.aspx

Garrett ATX Forum - http://www.findmall.com/list.php?96

Keep an eye out for the Garrett Gals! They will be looking at you....;)

Thanks for the welcome John and for the info. I'm dying to get out there and play with this thing. Are any laws I should worry about while beach/surf detecting? I've read up on the ARPA stuff, but I know better than to hunt federal sites. I don't want to get in hot water just for walking on a beach. ;-)

More brew coming when the weather warms up and I can brew on the deck! haha And I can only hope that the Garrett girls find me!

The ones we follow.....fill in your holes and take the garbage with you are a must! There could be some local laws, and you will have to ask someone who hunts in your area what they might be.

Good luck!