Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GARRET FOR COIN HUNT

iron bark

:ausflag: Hi looking for some advice on what detector to buy for coin hunts .The prospecting club I am in has a coin hunt at every outing for VLF detectors only ,I was looking at a garret 150,250or 350 as it would only be used once a month I do not want to spend a heap of money,in the past I have purchased up market vlf detectors hopping to get gold in rubbish areas but it did not work so am just looking for a good easy to use detector for coin hunts all advice welcome regards from Australia thanks john:help:

On a budget either the ACE 250 or 350 are excellent choices for hunting coins. There a 2 things I would wonder about.

1, I don't know if there are issues with Australian soil mineralization that might make ACE models (with "fixed" ground balance) a poor choice. Here in New England (USA) they are excellent for coins and use as a general purpose detector.

2, ACE models are not multiple frequency like the AT Pro (a lot more expensive units) and I don't know if there would be detector interference issues if you were club hunting and there were other detectors near by. I suspect that's probably more of an occasional nuisance than a real issue though.

It would depend on the site. I prefer the ACE 350 for it's DD coil, and the tones are a little different that the 250(which has a smaller concentric coil). The 150 is a very basic machine, but you will find coins. I have one, but have used it little. Although the AT Pro isn't cheap, it is MUCH better than the ACE series. AND the AT Pro is NOT a multi-frequency. It does have frequency adjust. Several slight frequency adjustments to help with EMI. I suggest you watch the Garrett videos on the machines you are considering. The 350 has a hidden feature. The tones. Often when you when you hit a coin you will get three bell tones instead of two, like with trash(pulltabs and bottlecaps).

Sorry, the three bells is unlike the two you get with junk targets. Something I learned from a Youtube video, and it does happen, although not every time you hit a coin.

Thanks very much everyone for your input I have been offered a Tesoro gold demon very cheap so I am going to give it a go as it will only be used once a month on club outings on treasure hunt that lasts about 1 hour regards john all the best:ausflag: