Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett 150?

Free Miner

I am new to meta detecting. I can buy a Garrett 150 for 100 dollars. If it is working ok. Is it worth 100 dollars?
Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

My opinion,,,

$100 is at the very top of its value range. I personally would be looking to buy it for much less. More importantly, the 150 is a very entry level machine that you will likely outgrow very quickly. I'm not saying don't buy it,,, we all have to start somewhere. If $100 is your budget, I would try to negotiate down as much as possible.

Again, just my opinion, ,, and again,,,,, welcome!

Welcome to the forum.

My opinion,,,

$100 is at the very top of its value range. I personally would be looking to buy it for much less. More importantly, the 150 is a very entry level machine that you will likely outgrow very quickly. I'm not saying don't buy it,,, we all have to start somewhere. If $100 is your budget, I would try to negotiate down as much as possible.

Again, just my opinion, ,, and again,,,,, welcome!
Thanks, for your advice, I have them down to 90 now.

Thanks, for your advice, I have them down to 90 now.
Is it in working order? Place a quarter or a coin on the ground and give it a test run.
Try before you buy - especially used

It's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it. No offense to anyone but personally I wouldn't buy it except as a gift for a child. There a better used detectors for that price or a bit more. Think how much you're going to spend on fuel per trip. It's worth spending more on a detector now and not waste trips because of a very weak detector. For $200 you can buy a brand new ML vanquish 340 or a Quest X10 Pro.

It's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it. No offense to anyone but personally I wouldn't buy it except as a gift for a child. There a better used detectors for that price or a bit more. Think how much you're going to spend on fuel per trip. It's worth spending more on a detector now and not waste trips because of a very weak detector. For $200 you can buy a brand new ML vanquish 340 or a Quest X10 Pro.
OK have never seen these advertised here in Montana.

OK have never seen these advertised here in Montana.
MuddyMo is correct, it really is a kids machine. But you asked about the dollar value of the 150. If your budget allows, a Nokta Makro Simplex would likely satisfy your needs for a good while. You might look it up at Big Biy Hobbies out of Oklahoma. Most all dealers will offer free shipping. Good luck with whatever you settle on.

Jay

If your budget allows, a Nokta Makro Simplex would likely satisfy your needs for a good while.

Jay
I agree with Jay on this suggestion. I have not had a single problem, and the performance results rivals that of some upper-end models.

The question I am is could you describe the site or type of sites you planned to hunt? Also how much time or effort do you think you will put into detector on a daily or weekly basis?

Monte

Last edited:
I agree with Jay on this suggestion. I have not had a single problem, and the performance results rivals that of some upper-end models.

The question I am is could you describe the site or type of sites you planned to hunt? Also how much time or effort do you think you will put into detector on a daily or weekly basis?

Monte
I have not seen one yet but have heard alot of local guys raving about them.

Free Miner, what I've learned so far is that you are in Montana. What I Ion't know is your 'age group, the types of sites you plan to hunt, or how often you intend to actively go detecting. Also curious what it is you are looking for.

I agreed with Jay regarding the Simplex Plus, but if you want to get serious and can budget for it, I strongly suggest the Garrett Apex. It worked so well and the very lijght-weight detector has rivaled some upper-end
detectors. It is an upper mid-level detector with Iron Audio volume, and let's you select one of four Single Frequencies or use the SMF option with one for general use and the other for working salt water beaches.

I know the Apex and use the Apex which is why I bought 3 of them to keep different coils mounted. I paid $400 for 1 of them and $425 each for the other 2. And to make it even better those came with Garrett's MS-3 wireless headphones

Monte

Last edited:
That's an OK price. I had one and put on the hockey puck coil. It worked great in tot lots. Allowed me to get close to the metal play equipment. If you happen to live near an area where there are nuggets of gold, that tiny coil will beep on match sized nuggets and larger. It's also good to use in creeks and thick bramble woods.
v 3_zpsevgwbdvn.jpg

One of these days i've
Free Miner, what I've learned so far is that you are in Montana. What I Ion't know is your 'age group, the types of sites you plan to hunt, or how often you intend to actively go detecting. Also curious what it is you are looking for.

I agreed with Jay regarding the Simplex Plus, but if you want to get serious and can budget for it, I strongly suggest the Garrett Apex. It worked so well and the very lijght-weight detector has rivaled some upper-end
detectors. It is an upper mid-level detector with Iron Audio volume, and let's you select one of four Single Frequencies or use the SMF option with one for general use and the other for working salt water beaches.

I know the Apex and use the Apex which is why I bought 3 of them to keep different coils mounted. I paid $400 for 1 of them and $425 each for the other 2. And to make it even better those came with Garrett's MS-3 wireless headphones

Monte

got to get a wireless headphone machine.

If your budget allows, it's a good one to keep around for a spare,or loaner. Look to spend about $250 and up for a good starter that you wouldn't want to loan out.