Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett 6.5x9 coil for AT-Pro better for parks???

fematrailer

Just ordered a 6.5x9 coil for AT-Pro. I was told that this coil is better for hunting than the DD that came with my detector. I usually hunt parks and old homes and a friend told me that the concentric coil is better for what I do and will gain some depth. Any experiences?

Yes and No. It all depends. If you ask this question to 100 people you will probably get 99 different answers. What works best for one may not work best for another. Its best to try as many coils as you are able and find the one that works best for you , the one you have the most confidence in.

I will say this though , even though there may be some places where that 6x9 coil really shines , many parks and old home sites are pretty heavily littered with trash and metal targets , some are really bad. The strength of the DD coils is being able to get in between those targets and separate them , singling out separate targets instead blending them together , and cutting down on target masking. And generally the smaller the DD coil is the better they are at this , though you lose a little depth. If there isn't a lot of trash and dense targets then it isn't as important , and the 6x9 concentric may do quite well , but if the targets are numerous and densely spaced then a DD coil would be your best option based on the science of how the coils work. Its good to do research and learn how the various coils work and why , this enables you to make more informed decisions on which to use in the various different environments. Then experience will teach you how to set up your detector and which coil is best to use for the particular site you want to hunt.

I can't afford to experiment with many coils. My friend told me if you take the DD and place a quarter on the ground and then put a pull tab three inches to the right, the detector will not pick up the quarter. He said that the 6x9 excels in target separation.

I do pretty much the same kind of hunting as you do fematrailer, and from my experiences I am with ohiochris. If you have higher then average mineralized ground and or, hunting in heavy trash, then DD coils will be the better coil choice. DD coils simply have better target separation. Concentric coils might be just a tad deeper then DD's, same size for same size, and concentric's do handle bottle caps better. But, the 11 DD does a bang up job id' ing them, as well. But for heavy trash, DD coils are my choice to use. HH jim tn

Thanks. I'm hoping I can cancel my order before it ships

5 by 8 dd coil is my favorite for parks with lots of trash, it really seperates and in my soil (florida) its deep enough, i've found a copper perry at 9 inches deep and it was id' accurately

Just called Kellyco and that's what the guy told me. He lives in Florida and he hunts with the same coil. I refused shipping on that other coil. Thanks to y'all I'm good. I have both the 5x8 and the stock coil. Thanks

I have the 6.5 x 9 on the ACE. I love it! Parks are full of bottle caps which I detest. The concentric coil ID's them as junk. I love it:thumbup: The Concentric coil also pinpoints off the inner front toe, allowing for fast accurate pinpointing and depending on the audio delay, allows you to also know a probable depth and probability of a good target.

Thanks. Cancelled the order. People at Kellyco were so nice. I will order something else from them in the near future.