Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

garrett ace 300 vs fisher f44

nowforever13

i have the cash in hand to buy one with a waterproof coil and waterproof housing cover and such for 254$ free shipping... but ive been hearing alot about the fisher... anyone help me with feedback>?

Admittedly an unabashed Fisher fan here, I would go for an F22 or F44 every time over a Garrett because I own a couple of other models and I am a big fan of how they work.
Also I never got along much with the tones that come out of any Garrett product but that is just a personal preference.

If we are talking about just these two there is about a $100 difference so a few more features on the Fisher which is logical but a couple of those features make that $100 well worth the price IMO.
These are tools that usually pay for themselves over time after all.

Bigger screen with bigger ID numbers on the Fisher, for a youngster it might not be a big deal, for a human being with 50-60 years plus on those eyes or those with less than perfect sight it could matter.

The Fisher uses 2 AA batteries that supposedly get you close to 40 hours, I am not sure if you will hit that mark exactly but Fisher does seem to have technology and programming that seem to let a few of their models just sip power so it could be true with headphone use.

A backlight is available, volume level adjustments too which are both nice to have and the rapid recovery and target separation abilities Fishers have are legendary and are in the DNA of all their other models so I assume they are in this one too.
I hunt in heavy trash and iron infested sites a lot so I like a fast machine, I have not swung or seen a Fisher yet that wasn't.

The water resistant packaging is great if you get caught in the rain, if you hunt in shallow water they won't tell you they will warranty it or it will actually come through a quick shallow dunking in case of accidents but it has been tested for that situation and survived easily.

There are a couple of other nice features but the important ones and deal breakers for me would be the iron audio and computerized ground balancing features.
Not all that super important if you hunt in really mild clean dirt or sites without much iron but that is not my lot in life...most of my sites have these problems in spades.

Any kind of auto or manual ground balance ability in difficult dirt could be the difference between success and failure, even one more extra inch in depth or a tiny bit better target resolution at depth might matter.

The F22 would be a closer comparison to the 300 I would think, price for price, I would still go for that one over an Ace model but that is me.

I told you I was biased but I can't help it, I spent $200 on an F2 and it shocked and surprised me how well it worked for me, many others too evidently because a ton were sold because I posted so much about how well it worked and what it was able to find.
If a tool finds you 10X's more than it cost you in coins and treasure you tend to do the math, add it up and remember that stuff.
I eventually upgraded to an F70, it paid for itself also in the first couple months of use and my jaw has not stopped dropping yet swinging it so for me the Fisher line is the choice every time.

Your mileage may vary.

By the way, since you are in Tennessee and the dirt in that state seems to vary wildly depending on your location you might want to add a BH Land Ranger Pro to that short list.
For a sub $300 unit it has a lot of bang for the buck in the features and benefits area.

One more thing....
If you repost this question in the Metal Detecting Forum area you will get a lot more opinions and action.
http://www.findmall.com/list.php?18

That is actually the only forum here you are allowed to do comparisons.
The mods might move it for you if they notice this thread.

Unfortunately the 300 called every rusty bottlecap a high coin which should be a dealbeaker if you hunt in parks a lot......ways to tell pro or con but very frustrating...understand the 400 is much better...Never used the 44.....