Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett Ace Apex

KindManTall

I have lots of detectors the least I like as of today is the Garrett Ace Apex ..Do not even think about taking it to a trashy area ..Fails bad on recovery speed It just blanks out It has never lock on one VDI always bouncy .. Not just ;like 5 about 20 VDI's .. You cam notch out 80 and lower ..Put a quarter on a Iron free area will still jumps like ... WOW

Some people like it some hate it. I had one of the first ones and didn't care for it. Got rid of it pretty quick at a substantial loss. I'm happy Garrett is at least trying to keep up with the competition and you have to take into account that it's in the Ace series,. So not meant to be a top performer. However there are better performing metal detectors in the same price range IMO

A buddy's first one was real noisey, he sent it back and the replacement was much better. He also seen it was faster when in beach mode and worked better in trashy areas but he lost depth. Try it and see if it helps

Well, you are correct, as individuals we each have our personal likes and dislikes. I got one of the first Apex devices in when they started selling them, and I currently have a total of 4 Apex devices. My original was is version 1.23, and the others were 1.25. All of them were updated to 1.28 when that revision came out.

On my first unit I did have a little bit of noisy behavior and I contacted Garrett, sent it to them, and it was quickly returned repaired and working much quieter.

In some areas I had more noisy activity due to the bigger size Viper coil, and that is expected because I spend most of my time searching very littered areas with iron debris. As soon as they announced the Ripper and Raider coils, I acquired them and I keep the Ripper, which is 5X8, on my main-use Apex. I keep the Raider, an 8.5X11 DD, on my 2nd Apex for hunting the beach, plowed field, wide-open grassy park, or any other place with sparse targets.

My 3rd Apex is set to use a smaller-size coil, such has the NEL 5" DD. I do have a 4th Apex w/Viper coil that I keep on-hand as a loader unit for family and friends.

I have found them all to provide reasonably quick recovery speed, they all work well in iron nail contaminated sites, and at times they can be a little noisy or chattery if I am hunting in a lot of trash, near power lines, Etc, but when it's bad I simply reduce the sensitivity one or two notches, three at the most, to stabilize the unit.

Owning and using for Apex devices since their first release and all of them having the current update and all using my same Custom program, have assured me that the Apex can work well for many applications.

All four of them are in my Custom program which accepts everything from 20 on up, starts out in MF, Vol. '8', Iron Vol. '2', and most of the time I simply Ground Balance and start hunting. Also, they are all saved at full maximum Sensitivity, and I only reduce it as needed if there is any EMI type noisy behavior.

Like most detectors it should be used with a search coil roughly 2" above the ground because if it is too close you get a lot of back-reading which is multiple hits from shallow or Surface targets.

The one big mistake Garrett made was taking it with the Ace series label because it is not an ace series circuit redesign and doesn't really work like the Ace series. The Apex should stand alone as a series of itself since it is totally different and also a selectable frequency/multi-frequency device.

Monte

e one big mistake Garrett made was taking it with the Ace series label because it is not an ace series circuit redesign and doesn't really work like the Ace series. The Apex should stand alone as a series of itself since it is totally different and also a selectable frequency/multi-frequency device.
Although I don't own a Apex, it definitely is much different then an Ace with its SMF features. Garrett perhaps thought with the profound success of the Ace series over the years that an Ace/Apex association would help boost Apex sales. Or at least help its launch. The association probably hasn't helped it all that much, if any. HH jim tn

In a trashy area the Apex has no idea what it is suppose to do. Zero mode it maybe do a high tone than blanks out.. No way will you can do the wiggle / clipping to dang slow . with and without headphones so it not lag in wireless headphones (M-3),,
In tot lots it will not hold a VDI .. I think it might hold on 51-52 nickel // It is really a guessing game with the Apex
Other brands detectors will hold a VDI and do the wiggle / clipping
Might just have to send it back .. It has the .28 upgrade .. Doing multi freq and notching (modes)

I have used an Apex since last Oct. I’ve not had these issues with my Apex. I use the wobble method to pinpoint all the time when there is trash around a possible target. I have the coil wire wrapped snugly around the shaft so there is no flopping around of the cable to induce chatter. I normally use the Viper coil, and it works reasonably well in mildly trashy areas. If the area is too trashy, I use the Ripper coil. I would send it back to Garrett for a recalibration and for them to test the coil. Maybe yours has some other issue. I have had the Viper coil replaced once, b/c the original was chatty in the MF mode. Otherwise, I’ve found a lot of coins and other decent relics with it.

I have no problem with mine. In tot lots I run sens at 2-3 because I'm after shallow targets and don't want to pick up the deep stuff under the mats. I did some air test with the 8.5x11 and it surprised me in Pro mode MF I could hit nickels at 14", dimes at 12", quarters at 13". Seemed like MS mode was not as deep

Have to agree with recent posts. I can do the 'wiggle' to isolate most targets, especially when using the 'Ripper' coil, and I get niece depth in plowed fields or open park areas with my 2nd Apex w/'Raider' coil. I don't really have any issues with my 3 main-use Apex devices. Garrett is doing well, and I start out in MF and often select 10 kHz or 15 kHz Single-Frequency for some areas, some anticipated targets, or to help deal with EMI in noisy urban areas.

Monte