Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett ADS 7 .

professor-tones

I am looking for a replacement 9 inch coil. I got a replacement last year that lasted a few months but now sadly it also has failed.

I might have one, I have a nice ADS 7, that I sent to Garrett's and had it gone over. They made it like new, I have 4 or 5 coils for it and a case. I have not used it for years, need to see what coils I do have. I will look and see if I have a 9" coil. Might take a day, going detecting today, might get to look tonight. I will post back here.

Yeah, that was 'the amazing' thing about Garrett and the ADS 7 and almost all of it's early detectors from the '70's, they were 7.5" and looking back now, were too small for anything but park coin shooting...

I have a 12 inch that works on the ADS 7 but it is very very heavy. I hope I can find a good 7.5 for the ADS 7. This is the second 7.5 I have had that has failed by going open circuit...

That's the problem with the older Garrett coils, age deterioration. Some work better than others. You may have to go thru a number of them to find a hot one. Luckily you can usually find them cheap, or pick up a well used Garrett detector or non function detectors dirt cheap and hope it has a good coil. I remember the old coils also causing some drift if you start hunting at daylight, the sun comes out and outside temp starts to warm. Not generally a big issue, a quick threshold adjustment and you were fine. The 7.5" coils I thought were just the right size, probably why Minelab chose that size. For relic hunting or deep coin hunting we used the 10.5" coil but, you need the armrest. Funny thing Minelab also chose a 10.5" coil size.