Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett AT Gold & AT Pro - IRON AUDIO

David-Edmonton

I feel rather confused between the two units. Isn't Zero mode on the AT Pro the All Metal mode? Or is True All Metal something different? What really is the deal behind True All Metal on the AT Gold? It says online:

ALL-METAL IRON AUDIO

The AT Gold's all-metal mode is much more sensitive. It's good for finding small nuggets, where you're listening for a subtle increase in the volume of the threshold tone. It's also useful if you were hunting a pounded Civil War site and want to dig some really deep targets ( like backhoe deep, heh). The AT Pro is excellent for medium sized earrings and up. The ATG's all metal mode will react to every little variation in ground mineralization, hence the "ground balance window" feature, so you can smooth it out a little and snag those little nuggets. I use my AT Gold almost exclusively - it does a great job in trashy areas (and the 5x8 coil helps, too). Most people seem to prefer the AT Pro for general detecting, I guess I'm the exception. Both are excellent coin and relic machines.

frog21 said:
That is a good question. I have been thinking the same thing.

Yea - it is the deciding factor for me on going with the Gold or Pro. If they operate the same way when the Pro is set to be not notching anything out yet be on iron audio mode then I may go with the Pro and save about $100. I wouldn't mind notching things out if I decide to. I know that I could lose the ability of finding some certain nice items along the way. At least the pixel and VID would still show what I am missing even though I won't hear it.

Both units allow auto and manual ground balancing.

Both of them find gold rings. I am still not certain if either one is better at seeking gold or even silver rings though. I've read different opinions about that online. I've even read from certain people that they prefer the AT Gold over the AT Pro but it just isn't clear enough on why.

I am not really planning to be out there to seek out gold nuggets. That has to be hard thing to really do efficiently and besides you would need to know where to go and seek them out. I'm basically wanted to find random coins - even if they are modern, but also would like to find those "what's this?" type of items. That pretty much rules not much of anything out. I just want to get out there and have some fun but not be limited on what I can do.

I wish I had the option to test both units out in person. The stores here don't have them out in display.

I gave Garrett a call and left a message for a call back as I wanted to ask a few questions. That was only about 30 minutes ago. The guy, Adam, wasn't available at the moment (on a call).

William-NM said:
The AT Gold's all-metal mode is much more sensitive. It's good for finding small nuggets, where you're listening for a subtle increase in the volume of the threshold tone. It's also useful if you were hunting a pounded Civil War site and want to dig some really deep targets ( like backhoe deep, heh). The AT Pro is excellent for medium sized earrings and up. The ATG's all metal mode will react to every little variation in ground mineralization, hence the "ground balance window" feature, so you can smooth it out a little and snag those little nuggets. I use my AT Gold almost exclusively - it does a great job in trashy areas (and the 5x8 coil helps, too). Most people seem to prefer the AT Pro for general detecting, I guess I'm the exception. Both are excellent coin and relic machines.

Hmm... and then there's the threshold feature - just like how you put it. I don't really want to miss out on the small items. Some people just don't like the noise - saying it gives them a headache. How long have you been using the AT Gold?

Hi David, I replied here before I saw your PM. I've had the Gold for about 7 months. I'm not a serious prospector- I've taken it out to some gold producing areas a few times, still learning that part, though. I can't say that I use the threshold very often - just once in a while when I am re-checking an area that has produced some nice finds and is pretty cleaned out. That puppy is sensitive!!

The ATG works well for me because it seems that everywhere I tend to hunt is absolutely paved in bits of rotten, rusty iron of all sizes along with the infernal aluminum caps and tabs and sardine cans (must have been THE staple food of miners and the later homeless folks). The ATG has 44 points of iron discrimination, and I sometimes use and appreciate them all. The 5x8 coil, on either machine, is a godsend - it has enabled me to hunt areas that I had attempted previously and written off as un-huntable. The soil here is pretty mineralized - gb is from 75 - 93. In practice, I don't really notch out segments on the AT Pro - the 'coins' and 'zero' presets are fine. Likewise, on the AT Gold, the "Disc 1" is pretty similar to 'zero' and 'DIsc 2' is pretty similar to 'Coins". I also just like the sounds of the ATG more.

Bottom line: The ATG is the one that goes in the car & the ATP is my excellent backup machine. I had to send the Gold in for repair recently (user error, I cracked it off the shaft). While it was gone, the ATP found me enough Gold to pay for itself. If I had to choose one detector for my conditions, I'd buy the AT Gold ( I don't hunt salt water) - but, it would be a near toss-up. If you have milder soil and cleaner hunting conditions and / or like to notch items out, you might prefer the AT Pro. I just feel like the ATG does everything well; a world class prospector, relic hunter, and coin shooter.

I know nothing about the AT Gold. I read the book written by the guy who does the videos for Garrett. According to it. Pro Zero is a near all metal mode, recriminating between the metals and being able to tell the difference keeps it from being in TRUE ALL METAL. BUT, when you use the PIN POINT feature, that is TRUE ALL METAL mode.

William-NM said:
I can't say that I use the threshold very often - just once in a while when I am re-checking an area that has produced some nice finds and is pretty cleaned out. That puppy is sensitive!!

Is this practically the main use for the threshold? Is it meant to increase the 'noise' as you pass over the coil in areas that are assumed to be clean and if you hear a difference then you may have found something deeper than when not using the feature?

Well, I received that call back from Garrett. It pretty much resulted in stating that the AT Gold is more sensitive towards small gold being that it is 18 kHz but not much was really said towards the True All Metal Iron Audio feature of AT Gold compared to having everything un-notched on the AT Pro and using the Iron Audio on it. He says that it runs a bit deeper than the AT Pro. Threshold is just to make the audible sound cleaner/clearer - and doesn't affect depth apparently. I'd have to go with your thoughts on all this though - the ones that have actual experience outdoors. What really sold you to get an AT Pro or even the AT Gold. For those of your that have bought and use an AT Pro International ... is there really any difference? The guy that called me wasn't saying much towards some mid/high range differences between AT Pro standard and the AT Pro International. It sounded like he wasn't aware of any differences. Odd.

What gets me is that some people say that the AT Gold sounds better than the AT Pro. How can this be?

Go to Garrett's website and watch the videos on each machine they go into great detail on each machine and their functions you get to hear and see them in operation, they may help you decide which one to get!

What type of hunting are you going to be doing most if not all the time? Answer that question and which machine would better work will be easier to answer. I freshwater beach and water hunt, I don't prospect or relic hunt so the best machine for me is hands down the AT-Pro. The AT-Pro Will find very tiny objects...I find earring backs and tinier objects all the time. I was interested in the AT-Gold when it come out and stopped by a local dealer several times to check it out. I got the same speach every time from the owner...you already have the best machine out there for the type of hunting you do, you will just be wasting money buying an ATG. Pretty strong words from a dealer that knows I buy alot of machines and could have Easily made a sale.

David-Edmonton said:
I feel rather confused between the two units. Isn't Zero mode on the AT Pro the All Metal mode? Or is True All Metal something different? What really is the deal behind True All Metal on the AT Gold? It says online:

ALL-METAL IRON AUDIO

Thanks for all the input everyone. 99% of the time I will be hunting on dry land or in fresh river water. I am far away from salt water and I don't see myself traveling towards BC anytime soon. I'm going to be mixing it up on what I would be searching for. I wouldn't mind finding those "what's it" items but if I find coins of all ages then that's great. Of course, I would like to find jewelry. It is really a hit or miss when it comes to that due to the similarities to gold and tin/foil/etc on VID/tones as I've heard. I'm really in it at first for the thrill of finding something - anything - and then get the moment to clean it up and figure out what I have really found. If I find currency or even gold items to pay for the unit then great - if not, then at least I am getting out of the house and enjoying the fresh air (and the stench of bug spray)